𝟘𝟙𝟘-𝔼𝕩𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟 𝕋𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝟙

Start from the beginning

It was my job to distract any monsters that might be hiding in the school and divert their attention off of Tory, and onto me. With so many kids and faculty attending the school, Oliver hasn't been able to pinpoint any monsters directly, but he can sure as hades smell them easily enough.

I knew I was a strong smelling halfblood, meaning any monsters nearby would easily be able to pick up on my scent, and they would hopefully miss out on Tory completely. I was basically the bait.

It was the day before winter break—and the monster still hadn't shown its ugly mug.

I missed camp. I missed my brothers (although I would never in a million years admit it) I missed Clarisse, and I missed the valleys and openness. The city was nice and all, but the constant noise and hustle and bustle was overwhelming.

I was counting down the days until I could go back—and never go back to school again.

I was dozing off in the back of class when the bell signaling the beginning of lunch went off, making me and everyone else in the classroom jump from their chairs and start to rush out the door, eager to see their friends they had been away from for barely an hour.

I was sliding my journal that was filled with more doodles than words into my bag when I noticed the teacher—Mrs. Lydes, walking down the aisle towards me. She was a nice woman, and her class was the only one I ever tried in considering art was the only thing that could keep me interested for longer than 3 seconds.

Her lessons always bounced from topic to topic, and she always made sure that everyone in the class was staying involved, that no one was falling behind or nodding off.

Shit, she probably saw me sleeping.

My dreams lately have left me tired to the bone, and when I woke up, I could barely remember them. All I knew was that they left my stomach in knots and my head was always pounding after I woke.

Mrs. Lydes, however, didn't seem angry as she approached, and she held a soft smile on her lips as she placed something on my desk.

I take a quick glance at it, and I immediately recognize it for the art piece I had turned in a few days ago per her assignment. "Draw something with emotion—something that will make me feel."

I had drawn the first thing that came to mind, and it was not a happy memory.

It was the outside of my house, drawn in black and grey and drawn with a mix of smudges and sharp lines. There was evidence of rain and sun both, and of destruction and life. I didn't think about the emotion of the piece much before I turned it in.

"Did you not like it? I know it's plain and I probably should have—"

"No, I liked it very much Danae. You got a perfect score." I raise my brows, surprise rushing through me. I had never got a perfect anything before, much less on art. "What was your inspiration?" I knew the question was coming, but it still made me pause, shifting on my feet.

"My mother's old home." I say quietly, and Mrs. Lyad gives me the barest of smiles, as if she understood.

I never spoke of my mother if I could help it—didn't want to deal with the guilt that came with hearing her name or picturing her face. "I can see a lot of love here. And a lot of pain as well." That pretty much sums it up. "I wish I could say that you will never have to feel that pain again, but it would be a lie."

The words were ones I had heard numerous times, and I narrow my eyes, instantly wary of the women in front of me. "Who are you?" I demand, my hand instantly going towards the acorn bracelet I constantly wore around my wrist.