chapter nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN: THE SOKOVIA ACCORDS

I sat on the floor next to Steve while he watched the tv. The news was on-I think-but it was going in one ear and out the other. I knew that Steve was going to fill me in on what happened after, as he always did.

I was thinking about Wanda. As usual. It wasn't my usual fascination for the girl-nor my embarrassing thoughts about the way her eyes crinkled when she smiled, or how the corners of her lips turned downwards when she smiled. This time, I could feel worry setting in the pit of my stomach. There was an overwhelming sense of dread, could I do anything to make her feel better?

Usually my presence was just enough, surprisingly, but this time she wanted her space. Throughout the months that I've known her, she's always appreciated my hugs, and soft words of comfort. Sometimes the two of us would bake together to get our minds of things.

While I wanted nothing more than to run into her room and pull her into the biggest hug, I stayed seated on the floor. My legs were crossed, and my head was leaned back. My mind was stuck thinking about her.

I looked up in curiosity when I noticed Steve turn off the TV, he offered me a half smile. I returned it. He then opened his mouth to speak, but furrowed his brows in confusion at the sound of a TV in another room.

I sighed in immediate realization before I stood up and made my way to Wanda, Steve following in tow.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria-" the man on the TV was cut off by Steve picking up the remote and pressing the 'off' button.

Steve leaned against the door with his arms crossed while I put my weight on one leg, my hands in my back pockets.

"It's my fault." Wanda sighed, the guilt in her tone was unbearable. She didn't make eye contact with either of us, she only looked at a wall unseeingly as she rested her elbow on her leg.

"That's not true." Steve disagreed, shaking his head.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific." Wanda pursed her lips, finally looking at me. She searched my eyes for any hatred, fear or disgust. She only found love.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky'... all of the sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again, in Brooklyn." Steve sighed softly, he still stood against the wall before glancing at me.

Steve told me all about what Rumlow had said-but I was trying not to think about it. I was almost unbearably worried for my brother. I had too much on my plate.

"I got this." I whispered quietly to him, and he nodded with a half smile before leaving the room. "You know..." I turned to Wanda, "it's not really your fault, right?" I mumbled sadly as I made my way over to the heartbroken girl.

She sighed, but no words left her mouth. I shook my head before placing a hand on her thigh, "Wands." I said quietly-it was another nickname she liked-but she didn't move. "Wanda, look at me."

Wanda slowly turned her head, an unreadable look on her face. I knew she was trying to mask her sadness, but I could see right through it. "Believe it or not, you actually saved a lot of people." I smiled softly, "people died... and, I guess we can't always save everyone, right? But look at the bright side... you saved Steve, everyone that was watching that fight..." Wanda sighed softly as she looked at the ground. "You saved me."

Wanda looked up with a small smile as she nodded slowly, "yeah," she chuckled, "yeah, I guess I did... save you." She smiled softly before putting her hand in mine, both our hands on her thigh.

Wanda and I suddenly jumped when a certain Avenger walked through the wall, and ended up in Wanda's room. "Vis! We talked about this." Wanda sighed.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." Vision started before cutting himself off. He sighed, going on with what he came here to say, "Mr. Stark wanted to let you know that he's brought a guest."

"Who is it?" I asked curiously.

"The Secretary of State." Vision said with a tilted head before walking through the door, instead of the wall. I furrowed my brows as I looked to Wanda, our hands still intertwined. She shrugged before standing, pulling me up with her as we began walking down the halls.

"Fives years ago... I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

The Avengers and I were sitting in a small room while Secretary Ross talked and talked. This guy talks a lot, I noticed, and I'm not in the mood to listen to someone talk.

"The world owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes... there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, a small smirk on her face.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose... and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind." Ross seemed upset about the matter.

"I'd like to see you fight aliens without leaving a mess behind." I grumbled, to which Steve looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

Ross walked over so we could all view a screen in front of us that had a map on it. "New York." Ross announced as videos from the battle of New York played on the screen. "Washington, D.C." More screaming, and pain filled videos were played. "Sokovia." I glanced at Wanda as I read her facial expression. I could see her trying to hide her grief. "Lagos." A video of a flaming building was shown, people being put into ambulances, crying children, people limping.

Wanda turned her head away with a shaky breath. Steve sighed before looking to Ross, "okay, that's enough."

Ross nodded before continuing with his speech. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

I looked over as a man handed Ross a thick book, I furrowed my brows in confusion. Ross walked over and handed the book to Wanda before speaking again, "the Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries... it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel seeks it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said, clearly disagreeing with the Secretary.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where a Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Ross said while pointing to the book on the table.

Rhodey nodded in understanding as he pointed to it, "so, there are contingencies."

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." A small pause went around the room as we all thought about our options. "Talk it over." Ross mumbled before making his way to the door.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked with curiosity.

"Then you retire." Ross answered with squinted eyes, before walking out the door.

The room was tense, and I already knew this wasn't going to end well.

-----
lizzie speaks...

the opening paragraphs OMGGG i'm having so much fun writing about how in love quinn is with wanda