chapter thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: HOLDING HANDS

"Three minutes." Steve finally spoke up, getting our attention off the fact that Vision can lift the hammer. "Get what you need."

Everyone walked out of the room-I noticed Pietro and Wanda standing there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. "Um, I can help you guys... if you want." I smiled in attempt to make them feel more comfortable. Judging by the smiles they put on their faces, it worked.

"We would love that, yeah." Wanda said softly, her smile widening. I nodded at her before I waved my hand in my direction, starting to walk to where some equipment would be, the twins not far behind.

"All right," we stopped at a wall with racks of clothing and equipment, "there are some shoes here, for you, Pietro. You can pick your size." I said as I pointed to a rack. "There's also some clothes if you wanted to change, you too, Wanda... just right over here." I said as I moved to a different rack. "Uh... help yourselves." I smiled before taking a few steps back.

"Wait." I looked over to Wanda to see what she was going to say. She had one hand out and her mouth was slightly parted.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think... um... do you think when we go to the battle that we could stay with you? But only if-"

"Sure." I nodded, cutting her off mid-sentence as she started rambling. "I'll let Steve know you're with me." I smiled before leaving the room.

I made my way over to where Tony, Steve and Bruce were as they were talking about who knows what.

"No way we all get through this." Tony sighed softly as I took a seat beside him. "If even one tin soldier's left standing, we've lost. There's gonna be blood on the floor."

"Well, let's just hope there isn't." I mumbled, joining the conversation.

"I got no plans tomorrow night." Steve shrugged as he looked up at Tony.

"I get first crack at the big guy. Iron Man's the one he's waiting for." Tony said, taking a look at each of us.

"That's true." Suddenly, Vision walked in, speaking casually. "He hates you the most."

I let out a laugh before covering my mouth at the disapproving look from Tony. A few giggles escaped my lips before I finally calmed down. "I love Vision already."

Tony sighed before he made his way onto the jet, Bruce following behind him. "Oh, and Steve? By the way, Wanda said that her and Pietro wanted to stick with me during the fight... just letting you know." I shrugged before rocking back and forth on my feet.

"All right." He nodded as the two of us made our way onto the jet.

After a few more minutes, the twins came in as well as Clint, Thor and Vision. Wanda and Pietro sat next to me, as I was only one who was able to have a civil conversation with them. Do I trust people too easily? Most likely.

I picked up my comm and put it in my ear as I watched as Pietro inspected his own comm, before putting it in his ear as well. He made a weird face and looked at me. "You get used to them."

He sighed softly with a nod, before turning to Steve who began to speak. "Ultron knows we're coming." He started. "Odds are, we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't." I looked at Wanda with a frown as she sighed.

I hesitated, a thought coming to mind-this is a terrible idea. I ignored my negative thoughts and held her hand for comfort. She sent me a grateful smile. Her lips pursed slightly as she sucked in a breath before giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

"So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not gonna happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done." Steve continued.

"We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him, it's about whether he's right." Steve finished as he stared at the jet floor. We all sat in silence, thinking about his words.

When the jet landed, it was time to set the plan into motion. "I can get them out." Wanda said, still holding my hand as she spoke to Steve. He nodded at her before Wanda and I walked to a clear area. She let go of my hand, I instantly missed the feeling.

"Okay..." she mumbled to herself, almost as if she was preparing herself for what was about to happen.

Wanda sucked in a deep breath before she put her hands out by her sides, red mist flowed down her fingertips. Trails of red misty streams weaved in and out of buildings, and slowly but surely, people started walking in lines out of their homes and over to safety.

"Wow." I mumbled. "That's amazing."

The people were very, very slow as they walked and drove away in cars, but it was working surprisingly well.

But, they were still too slow. "Wanda look out!" My eyes widened as a robot made its way out of the ground and went straight towards her. She was quick to send it flying into a wall with her power and it broke into pieces.

The two of us looked around in horror as robots were crawling out of the ground, flying around the city and destroying everything they saw. Screams from the Sokovians filled the air as they ran, looking for safety. "And our plan was going so well." I mumbled. "Let's go!"

Wanda and I began running, and helping people get to safety. "Get off the bridge." She called out as we weaved through the panicking people to get to the front.

"Go! Go!" I shouted as I pointed to the direction away from the bridge.

I looked to see Wanda waving her arm in a half circle as a shield formed. "Run!" She was holding back the robots the best she could. But a blast was fired at the shield, she was thrown into the ground with a painful amount of force.

"Wanda!" I shouted before using my power to beam the robots in half-one of them nearly shot me. "Hey, are you all right?" I asked as I helped her back up.

"Yeah, I'm good." She nodded as we looked at the world around us. What a mess.

-----
lizzie speaks...

< wanda and quinn 3