chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: SUNNY

The fight was finally over, and it would be nice if it was the last one, but I highly doubted that. Nowadays, there always seems to be another fight right around every corner.

It would be amazing to go back to the 40s for once, life seemed so much simpler back then. But, it was also harder in many ways-so now that I think of it, I don't miss the 40s, I miss my home.

It was just Bucky, Steve and I, and of course our families and what we had left. But I only think about the three of us. Those boys are the most important people in my life. I would do almost anything to get them both back.

"The rules have changed." Steve sighed as him, Tony, Thor and I walked the halls of the Avengers facility.

"We're dealing with something new." Tony piped up.

"Oh, the Vision is artificial intelligence."

"A machine."

"So, it doesn't count?" Steve questioned the genius to my left.

"No, it's not like a person lifting the hammer." Tony shrugged. I held back a smile as I glanced to Steve. He nudged my arm in response. I had a very strong feeling that this was going to be one of our inside jokes.

"Right, different rules for us." Steve pointed out as he gestured to us, and then himself.

"Nice guy. Artificial."

"Thank you."

"He can wield the hammer, he can keep the mind stone." Thor stated. "It's safe with the Vision. And these days, safe is in short supply." A short pause came after that as we all stopped, looking to the floor we stood on.

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." Steve questioned as he trailed off, his eyes never leaving the floor.

"It would still go up." Tony shrugged as he pointed to the Captain.

"Elevator's not worthy." Steve muttered with the shake of his head, his voice going up an octave. I chuckled softly.

"I'm gonna miss these little talks of ours." Thor admitted as he pat Tony's shoulder.

"Not if you don't leave." The billionaire sighed.

"I have no choice." The four of us continued walking while Thor spoke, "the mind stone is the fourth of the infinity stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. And once all these pieces are in position..."

"Triple yahtzee." Tony raised a brow as he looked at the god.

"You think you can find out what's coming?"

"I do. Besides this one," Thor joked as he pointed to Tony, "there's nothing that can't be explained." He smiled, beginning to walk away, but I stopped him before he could.

"Oh, and Thor?" I asked. He turned to me, raising a brow. I sent him a half smile, "my dad says hi." I could feel Steve and Tony turn to me in interest. I hadn't told them that my dad visited.