Topography of The British Museum

The British Museum, London 1842 

November 18th, 1842, Diary Extract of Frederick Joseph-Salt

       It is often commented on when mentioning my appearance, how young I look. Here at the British museum, where most of my co-workers shall I say politely are a little long in the tooth, I am often referred to as the 'young man,' the 'young boy' or the 'young one.' And often by my good friend and colleague Mr Eoin Shaw, by all three of these titles in the same sentence. He, often refers to himself as the old fossil saying to me with a chuckle, "I've dug my heels in here at the museum young Freddy, I'm like an old relic."

    I, with much respect and affection think of him as old Mr Shaw, and sometimes even old Shaw a comforting and stable presence in that ever-evolving establishment. Although I suppose what I really mean by this is that I see him as one of the wisest people I know. From my first day here in my new position at the British museum, when he found me wandering, gazing in wonder at the exhibits in the glass walkway. Daydreaming, as I often do, while looking at these ancient artefacts that reflect the past, while I was thinking about my future. As I looked into a glass case full of curiosities, Mr Shaw found me and quickly took me under his wing. He swiftly became one of my best friends and my most trusted mentor, whose opinion I respect over almost anyone else's.

    I expect, that when my colleagues here call me 'young man' what they actually mean is that they see me as inexperienced and naïve. I am young, I am only twenty-three years of age, but I believe I have already accrued a good knowledge of my chosen subject, a good degree in Natural Sciences from my excellent education at Christ Church College, Cambridge. And I was excited to finally be out in the world, earning my own living, by my own hand, my own wit and intelligence. And I was keen, nay, very keen to put my learning to good use, and expand and improve on my somewhat limited experience of the world. 

    "Young Freddy," Mr Shaw had called to me one day, not long after I had started my long desired 'perfect' position here at the museum. Mr Shaw had spoken in his usual bright, ebullient, and clear tone, while I was trying hard to warm my hands by the small flame of a candle a few days after I had settled into my new role. Mr Shaw is the British Museums registrar, or "carer for the collections" as he calls it. And I am his new trainee assistant, and I am very young and as I have previously mentioned very keen. Or at least I was at first. It is the job of the registrar to focus on documenting acquisitions, loans, shipping, packing and filling out extensively long insurance forms. Basically, they maintain records, forms documents, receipts, cataloguing and assigning serial numbers to each individual item. Mr Shaw handles every item with such care and precision, like an wise old grandfather coddling a new-born. I, Freddy will admit that I have become less and less enamoured with my new role as the time has gone on. Sadly, after only my first two weeks I found the role monotonous and repetitive. That is not to say that I do not appreciate, and I am not grateful to have such a privileged position. On the contrary, I Frederick, from such lowly beginnings in life am very aware how lucky I am. I have worked hard to get my first-class education and get to this high position. But I fear in cold, hard reality I just find it dreary and dull. 

    Mr Shaw is a very studious and precise man. I respect him greatly and he can usually be found working away with quiet assiduity in our chilly basement office. Taking such painstaking care over everything he says and does. We spend many hours working side by side, in that dimly lit office in silence. I, not wanting to engage him in rambling conversation, least I disturb his meticulous diligence. When he does choose to draw me into discussion, I find him a joy and incredibly knowledgeable on the subjects that we touch on. Of course, as we have become good friends, we have had some personal conversations too, and I enjoy specially to tell him all about my beautiful fiancée Rosabella Morland. A subject I am very passionate about.