s1, ep 3 ; tell it to the frogs

Start from the beginning

"mom said you died." carl cuddled closer into ricks lap.

"she had every reason to believe that. don't you ever doubt it." nodded rick, glancing at lori who clung to his side.

"when things started to get really bad, they told me at the hospital that they were gonna medevac you and the other patients to atlanta, and it never happened." she said.

"well, i'm not surprised after atlanta fell." rick patted lori's hand. "and from the look of that hospital, it got overrun."

"yeah, looks don't deceive. i barely got them out, you know?" Shane explained.

"i can't tell you how grateful i am to you, Shane. i can't begin to express it." rick sent shane a grateful smile.

"there go those words falling short again. paltry things." dale commented.

across the camp, at a separate fire (by choice), was the pelletier family: carol, sophia, and carols husband, ugh, ed. ed placed another log on their fire, catching juno and shane's attention. "hey, ed, you want to rethink that log?" he insisted.

"it's cold, man."

"the cold don't change the rules, does it? keep our fires low, just embers so we can't be seen from a distance, right?"

"i said it's cold. you should mind your own business for once."

shane gets up and walks over to ed's fire, hands on his hips. "hey, ed... are you sure you want to have this conversation, man?"

ed shot shane a stink eyes, then looked to carol. "go on. pull the damn thing out. go on!"

juno could hardly believe her eyes. "unbelievable." she uttered standing up. "hang on, carol."

carol paused from getting up from her seat. juno lightly kicked the log out the licking flames, then grabbed it herself and tossed it to the side. juno glared at ed. you're lucky I don't throw you in the fire. she wanted to say that, but the camp was having a good night, and the last thing she wanted to do was disrupt that by getting into a fight with ed pelletier of all people. maybe she'll save that for tomorrow.

shane crouched down carol and sophia with a  kind smile. "hey, carol, sophia, how are y'all this evening?"

"fine. we're just fine." carol said meekly.

"okay."

"i'm sorry about the fire." she apologized.

"no no no. no apology needed. y'all have a good night, okay?"

"thank you."

"i appreciate the cooperation." shane said, side-eyeing ed.

juno ruffles sophia's hair and patted carols shoulder, who sent juno a grateful smile. together, shane and juno rejoined the camp.

"have you given any thought to daryl dixon? he won't be happy to hear his brother was left behind." dale expressed. Oh, daryl.

t-dog fiddles with the stick in his hand. "i'll tell him. i dropped the key. it's on me."

"i cuffed him. that makes it mine." said rick.

glenn piped in. "guys, it's not a competition. i don't mean to bring race into this, but it might sound better coming from a white guy."

t-dog eyed the fire. "i did what i did. hell if i'm gonna hide from him. "

"we could lie." amy suggest.

juno shook her head. "absolutely not. that's not fair to him."

"we him tell the truth. merle was out of control. something had to be done or he'd have gotten us killed." andrea said. "your husband did what was necessary. And if merle got left behind, it is nobody's fault but merle's."