Chapter 39 Attack

Chapter 39 Attack

Harlow's POV

Aiden and I were led into a room with the pups. I stared at the door switch worry as the noise started to annoy me. I could hardly hear it but it was clearly there. It was like a dog whistle. It meant that it was in the very back of my mind whilst making me want to hold my ears to make it stop.

"What's happening?" The twins asked in almost unison. I shrugged lightly as my eyes searched the room. There were about twenty to forty children, all ranging in ages, scattered around. There were also a few adults such as Abilene, taking care of the ones who needed it.

"Don't know," Aiden replied quietly. "I'm not sure at all." Bangs and crashes came from the other side of the door. I couldn't tell how far away they were. The noises echoed through the halls and made the floor shake.

"Are we stuck here?" A little girl from Kian's pack asked with quite a bit of attitude. "We should be out there, fighting with our parents!" She stood up and stomped her foot, cheers erupting from the children around her.

"Shhh," The woman with white hair and a rough voice shushed them loudly. "You do not want the enemy to hear you. We are staying silent and taking care of our own here." The little girl still held a frown but she sat down either way.

"Can we have a wolfie phone?" A little boy asked from another corner of the room,he seemed to be about four or five years old. He was looking towards an adult. I didn't know whose pack they were from but the amazement washed over me again as I saw another person peacefully shift into their wolf. The boy immediately came closer to the wolf. They were cuddling rather awkwardly but it was cute.

"Is this how it always is?" I asked a member of Ashton's pack. I had assumed they were from Ashton's pack because they were here since we were, before going to the other packs for help.

"No," they replied bluntly. I blinked in surprise before turning my head away. "We haven't been attacked before." That didn't ease my heathy breathing one bit. I stood up and quickly moved away. There weren't any windows here, just some computer screens. It felt like a legitimate secret panic room, probably because it was.

"It's Travis," the person who had turned into the wolf announced. I didn't move my eyes away from the white wall. It wasn't at all surprising. I would've expected it to have happened months ago. "He's followed by so many wolves." The person seemed shaken up. I sighed slightly and put a hand to my chin.

"They want to tear down the house!" A worried child exclaimed. The patter of their feet seemed like light rain as opposed to the annoying dog whistle.

"They might be," Someone else muttered, they seemed a little bit older than the one who had spoken earlier. "Or they could be coming to attack us all and take over the house."

"Don't be silly Ryan," a caregiver scolded. "He might just be here for a negotiation. We don't know if he's here with dangerous intentions."

"We're in a safe room," a child from Alora's pack said with an attitude bigger then my confidence. "It's obviously with dangerous intentions." I shook my head and decided to turn around, sliding down the wall so that I was sitting on the floor.

Nobody was paying much attention to me, other than Aiden, who kept glancing at me. I looked down towards the floor as the chatter consumed me.

We were there for three hours. Three long and hard hours of sitting and waiting for everything to be over, for the door to open. I hadn't counted the amount of times that I had sighed in the past three hours, but I'm sure that it had reached a maximum. I had gotten over my social anxiety for the moment in order to give myself something to do. I ended up playing with Waverly's son and a few other pups from their pack. Oran, Lowell and the twins joined in too. We couldn't be too loud, being unsure that the room was soundproof.

We were in the middle of a game when the door clicked open. I turned around and moved in front of the children. "Who is it?" I heard someone whisper from behind me. I shook my head and watched the door. Wolves started to move around us, to get to the open door.

"Surprise," A sadistic voice came from the other side of the door. I leaped backwards with the children. Aiden rushed to the table with the computers and controls placed upon them. The man who we all grew to hate strutted through the door, before closing it firmly behind him. "You've not been monitoring very well, have you?"

I wanted to punch that smirk off his face as his very existence made my skin crawl. The room remained silent as eyes averted to the screens. There were many wolves, both familiar and not, on the ground. It looked like they were all sleeping. Common sense told me that it was the last thing that they would be doing right now.

"Don't they all look so peaceful?" Travis' grin was audible as he stepped further into the room. We shuffled backwards, towards the wall as he came closer. "Don't you see that you've lost already?"

My eyes searched the screens for familiar wolves, I couldn't find any. It was impossible to tell one wolf from the next. I knew that I would be able to recognise Karim when I saw him. I didn't know if it would be a good thing if I saw him on the monitors. I wanted to see him, to make sure he was alright, but at the same time I wanted him to be safe.

"We haven't lost," the little girl from earlier exclaimed bravely. "We're still here, you don't have anyone to back you up." Travis tilted his head slightly at the little girl and moved towards her, a good three feet height difference. The little girl didn't step back, just craned her head up to look at him.

"I don't need any back up. I've got everything that I need here." He held up a little can which seemed akin to a body spray or air freshener. With a simple click, everyone started to cough. Aiden and I looked at each other worriedly as wolves started to drop like flies, unconscious. "Brilliant, much more comforting."

"What's your plan?" My brother asked slowly. "Surely knocking out all the wolves wouldn't benefit you in any way?" Travis shook his head and pocketed the spray.

"I wanted to talk to you both, undisturbed." I snorted at his words. If he meant that we wouldn't be disturbed by his presence then he's incredibly incorrect. "Human to human."