Chapter 23 Visitor

Chapter 23 visitor

Ralph's POV

"I hate you." Randall said to nobody in particular as he came downstairs with dripping wet hair. He had been the one to open the door and get gunk all over him. I didn't count the amount of times I heard the water running but it was around about the seven mark. "You're lucky I don't take part in this."

"You hardly interacted with it when you were younger." I pointed out to my brother. "You always got too scared because you would be one of the only ones doing it and you didn't want to be alone." He shook his head at me and pouted, sitting at the table.

"I'm just glad the day is nearly over." He reached behind him, to grasp the handle of a cupboard which usually held our miscellaneous things, he liked to fidget with them when he was bored. It wasn't anything too big, just simple tape measures and spare spoons and such. As the door opened, A spring leaped out at him, with a pom pom on the end of it. Randall screeched and jumped back.

I chuckled and folded my arms, "I do not believe it'll be done for the evening." He glared and shook his head at me,. Standing up and spreading his arms out.

"I'm not touching anything the rest of the day," he started to walk out of the room before noticing he had closed the door behind him as he entered. He glared at the door handle with a glare. "Have they been in here?" I shrugged as a response, nodding towards the door handle.

"Find out the hard way." I didn't let anything away as he turned and took a deep breath. His hand inched towards the door handle hesitantly and he turned it. He sighed in relief as he stuck his head around the door. He turned back and gave me a thumbs up. I watched him carefully as he went, I was expecting something to pop out. It was going to be Randall's last year being able to join in with the children, I had my eyes peeled for anything.

I jumped slightly when a loud noise came from the front of the house. Loud and frequent noises also came from upstairs, drawing closer. "Someone's at the door." Tempest said plainly as she looked me dead in the eyes. I stood up slowly, walking towards the door myself. Everyone was standing in the very cramped hallway, tense as ever.

I couldn't see anything on the other side of the door, they weren't strangers. I could tell that they'd been here before and that they were peaceful. My distracted mind may not have sensed them on our land but they didn't seem hostile, whoever they were.

"Can we open it already?" Beaumont whispered, I hadn't noticed that I'd been standing in front of the door for quite some time. I shook my head and opened the door. In front of me stood a woman. She had pin straight brown hair and green eyes. She looked at me rather annoyed, her arms folded across her chest.

"About time." Her voice was deeper than most, a twinge of a sarcastic flair seemed to have been varnished over every word she said. I rolled my eyes at her and opened the door, moving aside to let her in.

"Good to see you too, Neva," I plastered on a smile as she strutted into the house. "Everyone, you remember Neva. She's the Beta of the Russeton pack." She received nods of respect from the members of the pack and some waves from our new friends.

"Where's Eben?" She said quickly, I pointed into the living room and she headed straight for it. I rolled my eyes at her. Other members of the pack made various gestures towards her. The Russeton pack was known for its arrogance. Just because they have one of the most stable packhouses in the community, and their pack was one of the biggest, one of the most protected.

"Why is she here?" Moss mouthed to me. I made the gesture of typing on a keyboard and then shrugged. We migrated to the door leading to the living room, so we could hear better.

"Ah, Neva, it's wonderful to see you." My father greeted with a smile in his voice. I resisted the urge to snicker. My father was probably the captain of the hate squad when it comes to arrogance. "What brings you here?" She flipped her hair, her reflection showing in the mirror that was just within eyesight.

"I was sent here to see the state of your pack." My hands balled into a fist. "Rumour has it, you have grown over the past few months." I glanced to my left, where Aiden stood with his back straight. He raised an eyebrow at me, but didn't say anything.

"That's correct, the Forst brothers have been residing here whilst Aiden is Ralph's soulmate." My grin widened as my father said this, he had a sense of pride and happiness. I was so scared a few months back, when I thought he would react negatively towards the news.

"Is that so?" Neva trailed off slightly. "Well, in any case. I am aware that Ralph is the new alpha, which of course makes Aiden alpha as well." I bit my lip, not daring to look at Aiden, I hadn't actually told him that. "What are you planning to do about Travis?" I nodded slightly, that's the whole reason why she was here.

"Ask them yourself." My father said boldly. "They're the alphas now, there is no beta." Then my heart broke. I didn't want him to think that. We hadn't talked about the beta role. Everything happened so quickly, I hadn't had time to do anything like that. Our focus had been on saving our home and the forest. I didn't consider the fact that we didn't have actual pack roles anymore save for alpha.

"Come in." Neva said louder, allowing us all to file into the room. We could've done so anyway but there was an attempt at privacy. "I am aware that you are the ones making decisions now." I held Aiden's hand in my own, a light squeeze was given as a form of reassurance. From the corner of my eye, just around the doorframe, I saw Harlow, Karim, Emi and the children heading upstairs.

"That's right." I nodded towards her, I tried not to let my sour emotions take control of my actions.

"So, what are your plans?" She folded her arms again and looked at me sternly. Her attitude in itself was enough to make my blood boil.