Prologue: Just Breathe

Twenty Years Ago

He glanced across the street at the ice cream shop. This was the first time Darius was allowed to be in control for such an extended ; not since the juvenile center when he for Conner's protection.

He scanned the building again. It was still the same: a white and blue building with artistry of various kinds of ice creams. The sign still read: Chilly Treats. They used to go there often; since age eleven. The young couple who owned the place used to give them free milk shakes from time to time. It was one of the only good memories they had of their childhood... that and the freckle-faced that never noticed them. Then again, they never really made themselves known to her.

Brynn.

If Darius knew what love felt like at that age, it would have been what he felt for Brynn. His heart raced, and palms got sweaty when he saw her... until the day he spotted Brynn at the very same ice cream shop he was currently staring at, holding hands with some other boy. It tore his heart in two.

Darius shook his head as he began his trek across the street and into Chilly Treats. As the door chimed, the older woman peered up at him. He gave a slight smile, walking toward the counter. "Hi, Mrs. Davis. your favorite thirteen-year-old skinny kid with wild black hair. You and your husband got any free milkshakes you can spare?"

Mrs. Davis's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree, as she rounded the counter and opened her arms to him. "Oh, my goodness, Conner!" She engulfed him in a hug. "You know we always have a shake with your name on it."

He clenched his jaw tight, his tanned skin prickling from her touch. "I'm kidding, Mrs. Davis." He pulled away from her, finally able to breathe. "I just wanted to come by and say hi and thank you and your husband for your kindness over the years."

Her warm brown eyes crinkled at the edges, as she smiled at him. "No thanks necessary, honey. How have you been? We heard from you in years."

"I know. sorry. I needed some time to get myself together. Still, I should have at least called." He swept his raven black hair out of his face. "How's Camille? The last time I saw her, she was a year old, I think?" He leaned against the counter.

"Yes, she's four now, and already giving us hell." Mrs. Davis chuckled, as she retightened her blue and white apron around her waist. "Oh!" Her eyes widened as she clapped her hands, bouncing on her toes. "Whatever happened to your crush? The little freckled-faced girl you were infatuated with."

Darius stuffed his hands in his pockets to keep from balling them into fists. "I don't know what happened to her." He lied. "It was a stupid crush. I eventually got over it." But he . He wouldn't let Mrs. Davis know that though. "Where's Mr. Davis?" He quickly changed the subject.

"He has daddy duties today. It was his turn to stay home with Cami." She made her way back behind the counter.

Darius zipped his jacket half-way, backing from the counter. "Oh, I'd pay to see that."

"It's not pretty, Conner. Believe me." Mrs. Davis laughed, her ponytail swinging back and forth as she wiped the counter down.

"I can imagine." He headed for the door, opening it. "Tell your husband I came by, and I'll be sure to give him a call. Your numbers are still the same, right?"

"Yes, nothing's changed, honey. I'll let Marcus know you made a surprise visit. Don't be a stranger." She waved, her honey bronze skin glistening in the rays of sun that shined through the shop's windows.

"I won't. I'll make it a priority to visit at least one a month. That way I get to see Camille too."

"Looking forward to it. See you soon."