𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒘𝒐, revenge

LOST CAUSE.
[ chapter twenty two ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"IS SHE GOING TO BE OKAY?" Harriet asks, nudging Frypan while they walk through the rumble remaining form the chaos last night.

He shrugs, glancing up and over at Evelyn. She's sat on a turned over box, sharpening her knife with a rock she must've scavenged. A solitary tear rolls down her cheek, and she leaves it to drop down onto the soil below her. The blood from last night is still covering her face, Thomas had tried to tempt her to get rid of it but she refused to talk to anyone.

"Evelyn struggles a lot when we lose someone, just like the rest of us, but she deals with it differently," Fry bites his lip, "Minho and her were close so I have no clue on how she'll handle this."

"He's not dead, though. Neither are Sonya and Aris," Harriet slings a rifle over her shoulder.

"But they're back there," Fry states, wandering away with his face pulled into a frown as he attempts not to think of Minho's situation.

"What do we do now?" Newt questions loudly, while kneeling down to examine a WCKD guard's helmet.

"Well, we pick up what's left of us," Vince answers, "We stick to the plan. We get you kids to the safe haven." He sighs, looking around at their surroundings, "Then we start over, I guess."

Evelyn shakes her head, standing up and immediately everyone's heads turn to her, "No."

Thomas moves to stand beside her, "We're not going with you."

"What?" Vince's eyebrows furrow.

"I'm not leaving Minho in their hands," Eve spits, "No leaving anyone behind. That's our motto."

"We have to go after him," Thomas hums, his fists curling around the bag on his back's straps.

Vince throws his arms in the air, "Hey, kids, look around you. Alright? WCKD just kicked our ass. You think about where you're headed."

Evelyn shrugs, "I never asked you to come with us. The last thing we want to do is put more people at risk."

Newt stares at her, "Eve, listen to me. We've known Minho for— for, well, as long as we can remember. So, if there was any way that we could help him, trust me, I would be up there standing next to you both." He shakes his head, "This, what you're talking about, is impossible."

Jorge walks over, Brenda close behind, "More like suicide."

"So was escaping the maze, but we did that didn't we?" Evelyn tilts her head, "It's worth trying."

Thomas nods, picking up a rifle and throwing it over his shoulder, "It's not just about Minho. It's about all of us. It's about everyone WCKD's ever taken, everyone they will take. They'll never stop. They'll never stop, so we're gonna stop them." He takes a deep breath, "I'm gonna kill Ava Paige."

Evelyn smirks, her grip on the knife in her palm causing her knuckles to go white, "And I'm going to finally kill Janson."

Harriet sighs, leaning closer to Vince, "I have to admit. . . I'd like some revenge."

Vince purses his lips, fighting a smile, "Well, that's a good speech, kids. So, what's your plan?"

Sharing a menacing smirk, Thomas and Evelyn turn their heads to each other, their gazes locking, before they nod. They had both thought about this plan for a very long time. How to overturn WCKD, and get revenge. Now it's finally time for that plan to be set in motion, and Evelyn couldn't be more excited.

______________________

scorch trails DOONNNEE

i've got covid again ☹️