𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, cracking glass

LOST CAUSE.
[ chapter seventeen ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE TUNNELS BELOW THE WAREHOUSE WERE DIRTY AND CLEARLY HADN'T BEEN TOUCHED IN YEARS. Evelyn doesn't even react to the stickiness and grossness of the walls, it felt almost familiar in the worst way.

Thomas stays by her side like always, shining the light ahead of them while Brenda leads the way.

"Do people live down here?" The boy questions, moving the spot light to focus on the spray painted walls.

"The Solar Storms forced people underground," Brenda answers, "Jorge says there's settlements all over these tunnels."

"So, who is Jorge?" Eve furrows her eyebrows, glancing at the back of the girl's head, "Is he your dad?"

Brenda hums, "Close enough. Truth is, I don't really know what he is. He's just always been there. And I've always done what he's asked me to do, no matter how stupid."

Thomas looks over at her, "So you don't think the Right Arm is real?"

Before she has chance to reply, a loud screeching echos along the thick stone walls towards the teenagers, causing them all to swirl around quickly, squinting their eyes into the distance.

Slowly, Brenda turns again, biting her lip, "I think. . . Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope has killed more of my friends than the Flare and the Scorch combined," She shrugs, "Just thought Jorge was smarter than that."

The trio reach an intersection, causing them to slow to a stop, their flashlights flicking between the two options. Evelyn groans, squeezing her eyes shut for a moment to soothe her headache.

She feels Thomas move from beside her and her eyes flick up to watch him round another corner, spotting more passageways.

"You've gotta be kidding me," She mumbles, leaning her back on the stone wall, "Nothing is ever easy for us."

Brenda and Thomas start to wander in opposite directions, making Eve push away from the stone and rush after the boy, a hand pressing on her rib cage. She glances further down the path, tapping Thomas' shoulder for him to do the same.

He nods, spotting the faint light in the distance, "Hey, I think it might be this way!" He calls back to Brenda.

The dark haired pair swivel around again, the other girl no where in sight. Thomas slowly turns to Evelyn, eyes wide and she legs out a cough, shrugging.