𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏, the party

LOST CAUSE.
[ chapter eighteen ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE THREE OF THEM finally reach some kind of city, though it is on it's last legs. Litter fills the streets, along with spray paint and fences that caution people. Evelyn stares at it all, reading almost every sign and all the tiny notices scattering on the floor by abandoned tents. It helps her figure out what life would've felt like while she was trapped in a maze. Surprisingly, she believes she got the better deal.

Thomas and Evelyn are side by side; a thing that happens to be more regular now. While Brenda trails behind silently, every now and again butting into their conversation to tell them facts about where they are.

"I'd take the Glade over this shit hole any day," Eve grumbles, "Being surrounded by  boys, pigs, grievers and bones doesn't seem too bad compared to this."

"Your standards are low," Thomas hums, "Like, incredibly low."

Evelyn chuckles, letting a yawn pass her lips and she runs a shaky hand through her hair, "I would do anything to get my stupidly small hammock back. Y'know, I complained about that stupid thing for years, and now I so desperately need it back."

Thomas opens his mouth to speak, but his jaw clamps shut at the sound of distant chatter. He raises a finger while they walk down a damp alleyway, "Hey, you hear that?" He turns to see if Brenda's listening, only to find her slumped against the wall, rolling up her trouser leg.

Evelyn's eyebrows furrow in confusion and she trudges back over to the girl, kneeling down in front of her, "What's up?"

Brenda finally finishes rolling up her trouser leg and let's the pair look at the  deep bite mark. She glances up at them, noticing their wide eyes and gawping mouths.

"Shit." Eve curses quietly, her hand covering her mouth slowly.

Thomas switches his weight between his legs uncomfortably, "Brenda—"

"Yeah, yeah." She grumbles, wrapping a ripped cloth over the bleeding bite, "I know. I know." With a low groan, she slides down her trouser leg again, clenching her jaw as she raises up again and hawks her backpack over her shoulder, "Let's just go find Marcus."

Evelyn squeezes her eyes shut, and wipes her hand over her face. Thomas slowly places a hand on her shoulder and she stands up, flashing him a weak smile before following quickly after Brenda.

Making their way onto the main street, the pair of Gladers slow their pace, staring at the people around at the survival camp they have all built for themselves. Evelyn grimaces slightly at the smell of decaying bodies and trash, and she hears Thomas try to hide his cough of disgust.