𝒐𝒏𝒆, the train

LOST CAUSE.
[ chapter one ]

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

THE TRAIN. As soon as Evelyn's eyes met it she began to kick her legs and flail her arms around in an attempt to break free from the guard's tight grip on her. He growled at her through his mask in annoyance, throwing her into a cabin full of other children, mostly boys.

Eve's mother had believed that she would get payed, or benefit in some way when she handed her children over to WCKD. But instead she was trampled to the floor by the rest of the crowd, leaving Evelyn to go on by herself, just like her mother had told her to - so now she was trapped in a train she was sure would take her to her fate.

She was only 9 or 10, like most of the other children, cuts and bruises were on her face from the rough fight she had to endure on the way in. Her family was the opposite to wealthy and they would do anything to earn the tiniest amount to money - so they handed their kids in for a science experiment, completely unsure on what's about to happen to their 'precious' offsprings. Would they die? Probably. Would the parents care? No, not if they got their money.

Evelyn's eyes raise up from the grated flooring and meet with an older lady's - clearly a worker or even the leader, her clothes to clean and polished for her to be thrown in like the rest of the group. She smiles warmly, lifting her hand to form a small wave and expecting the younger girl to return it, but she just glances away angrily, staring out the tiny window at more and more children being tossed inside.

"Me and you are going to get along." The older lady leans forward slightly and taps the girl's knee, causing Eve's head to snap to her in caution, "I'm Dr. Ava Paige. I'm in charge of this program. Don't worry." She soothes, "You're okay."

Bullshit. Eve thought, being able to tell the difference between a lie and the truth was one of her many strengths. As soon as the words dripped off Ava's lips, she knew she was not going to be okay, she was going to be the complete opposite. Whatever they had planned for all the terrified kids - it wasn't good and Eve knew this but couldn't do anything about it.

Beside her a dark haired boy shuffles closer to her and rests his hand a top of hers awkwardly, the same scared expression on his face but he tries to make Eve feel safe - failing horrendously. She appreciates the small, useless gesture and sends him a shaky smile of thanks before going back to stare at the floor in hopes that she wasn't being driven into a death trap.