Chapter 26: Indebted

Ethan

"E man, you look like shit." Jason pointed out as he and Nick barged into Ethan's office.

"That's how I feel," Ethan answered while rubbing his head.

"Well, what I am about to say will probably only make this worse," Jason stated with a sigh.

Ethan looked up from his computer with slightly furrowed eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

Jason and Nick shared a look before Nick turned his head back to Ethan. "Jake Wellington is here again."

Ethan leaned back in his chair, placing his thumb and index finger on the bridge of his nose. "Fucking hell." He said with a sharp inhale.

Jake had been trying to get a meeting with Ethan ever since he turned down their deal. He swore that he was no longer doing business with Jerrod. Ethan didn't believe him at all but the guy was persistent.

"Where is he?" Ethan asked.

"Sitting in the lobby," Jason answered.

Ethan thought for a moment before stiffly nodding his head. "Let him in."

A few minutes later and Jake walked in the door. "Mr. Shaw, thank you so much for agreeing to meet with me." He said, taking it upon himself to take a seat.

"I'm really busy today Jake, I told you and your partner I was not interested in doing any more business with you," Ethan stated firmly.

Jake nodded, "I get it. I do, but I can assure you, that Jerrod is not involved in this."

Ethan leaned back in his chair while bridging his fingers together.

"And why should I believe you?" He asked.

"Look, man...Jerrod, he's, he's not right in the head. He's all fucked up." Jake said pointing to his head. "I didn't know how much until I started listening to some of the things he would say about Cassandra. He believes she belongs to him. The last few days, especially after he saw his dad. It's like he snapped, I don't know man. I just know I can't work with him."

"His dad is here?" Ethan asked ignoring everything else. He already knew Jerrod was sick, but if his dad was here, he could use this information to his advantage.

"Yea, he flew in a few days ago. The man is evil Ethan, he doesn't care about Jerrod, only about his status and money."

Ethan nodded as he thought to himself. Jake seemed like he was being genuine, but the fact of the matter was, he didn't trust him.

"I'll think about it, Jake." Jake visibly blew out a breath.

"That's all I'm asking for. You have my contact information if you wish to talk more." Jake stated and stood up.

Ethan nodded as Jake walked out the door. He went back to work when his phone began to ring.

Looking at the number on the screen, he quickly pushed the green button.

"Hello,"

"I hear you've got yourself in quite the pickle." The deep voice said with a slight chuckle.

"That's an understatement," Ethan answered as a small smile played on his lips.

"Why is it that I always have to help you with your bad decisions?" Ethan chuckled and shook his head.

"What bad decision did I make this time Matt?"

" Oh, I don't know. Marrying Lauren?" Matt said in a duh tone.

"As you should talk, wasn't your marriage arranged?"

"Yes, to a beautiful goddess who couldn't give a fuck about my status or wealth."