Chapter 2: The Interview

Cassandra sat impatiently in the lobby as she waited to be called back to interview with Ethan Shaw. She already interviewed with the COO and CFO and was now waiting to talk with the CEO.

 She was surprised to learn that the internship program she was accepted into was to work directly under the CEO. It was a paid internship and she would be required to move into an apartment that was closer to the office. The first two interviews went great, but they made it clear that Ethan would be making the final decision.

"Cassandra Williams" The receptionist called her name and she quickly stood to her feet and walked over to her desk. The lady looked at her and gave her a warm smile. "Mr. Shaw is ready for you. These elevators, 21st floor." Cassandra nodded with a nervous thank you and walked to the elevators. Once in, she pressed the 21 button and the elevator took off.

A ding sounded letting her know she made it to the floor. The doors opened to a bright and open room with multiple doors branched off it. She saw the assistant desk and walked over to see an older gentleman typing away. He looked up at her and smiled. "Name please?" He asked while still typing. "Cassandra Williams'' She answered. He nodded and pointed to the door on the far left.

"Go to the door and knock. He is expecting you." Cassandra took in a deep breath and walked to the door. She knocked softly. "Come in." She heard the deep voice say. She walked in to find Mr. Ethan Shaw sitting behind his desk already reading her application, resume and school transcripts. He looked up at her and gave a soft smile.

"Please, take a seat Ms. Williams." He said politely. She sat and waited quietly. "Your grades are very impressive. You maintained a 4.0 GPA all four years. That's not easy." He said looking her dead in her eyes.

"They told us at the beginning that only the best get into this program. I had no time to waste." Cassandra answered honestly. Ethan chuckled but nodded in approval. He asked the typical interview questions and she answered all of them honestly.

"Will moving be a problem?" He asked as he stood up and walked over to the side table that had a bottle of whiskey and two glasses on it. She shook her head. "No, Nick said it would be covered through the program. If that is true, all I need is the address." Ethan chuckled under his breath and nodded his head before pouring himself a drink and taking a sip.

There was a pause. Ethan continued to sip his whiskey while Cassandra grew more nervous as time went on. Cassandra wasn't sure what he was thinking and started to run through their whole exchange trying to make sure she didn't say anything offensive.

Ethan finally put his cup down and walked in front of Cassandra. He sat on the edge of his desk placing his hands in his lap. "This is the first time I have ever made a decision this quickly Cassandra." He started. "Everything about you is impressive. Can you start on Monday?"

Cassandra quickly nodded and blurted out a quick "Yes!" before quickly covering her mouth and letting out a light giggle as Ethan did the same. "Great, I will have Nick send you the offer letter and I will see you at 8am Monday morning.

"Thank you so much Mr. Shaw! You have no idea how much this means to me." Ethan shook her hand. "You earned it." He said with a smile. They shared goodbyes and Cassandra walked out the office pumping her fist in the air. She couldn't believe she was offered the position so soon. She couldn't remove the smile that was plastered on her face as she left the building.  Already this year was looking up for her.

Back at the office:

Ethan sat in his chair looking out the big window. He finally had all his positions filled for the intern project. He was going to take it easy this weekend. While he was sitting in thought his door opened.

"Hey E you got a second?" Nick, his CFO and one of his best friends asked while closing the door. Ethan sighed and turned to his friend. "Sure man, what's up?" Nick took a seat and opened his folder. "This offer letter you want sent to Cassandra Williams. You really want her to move into the penthouse?" Nick asked, confused. This wasn't the first time we've moved an intern but it was normally a humble apartment, definitely nice, but not a penthouse.

"This is her dream job. She doesn't plan to leave. Might as well give her the best." Ethan said with a shrug. Nick watched his friend carefully before a smirk came to his face. "You like the brown beauty, don't you?" Ethan gave a lopsided grin and shrugged his shoulders.

"She's perfect for the position." He responded. Nick chuckled and lifted an eyebrow. "What position are we talking about here?" He asked playfully. "Under me of course." Ethan answered. Nick let out a hearty laugh. "Under you eh?" Ethan rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean."

Nick chuckled and looked over the paper again. "Okay, I will email this to her. No coincidence that you want her penthouse next to yours?" Ethan glared at Nick before taking another sip of his whiskey. "I just want her close. Her job will be tough and demanding. I hope she's ready to work under me." Ethan spoke. Nick chuckled and nodded. "I hope so too, your turn around rate for assistants is too high, you had to pick an intern after Jackie."

"Ugh! Don't bring her up!" Ethan said, rubbing his forehead. "She was a total wreck, it took me weeks to clean up her mess. So unorganized, I had to let her go." There was silence when Ethan's door opened again and his other best friend and COO, Jason walked in.

"So you picked Ms. Williams huh?" He said with a smirk. Ethan glared at his friends as they both looked at him with knowing smirks. He sighed and chuckled to himself. "Okay guys, I know...I have eyes too. She's gorgeous." Ethan acknowledged.

"That's an understatement, did you see those legs in that skirt?" Jason joked. Ethan didn't know why, but the look on Jason's face bothered him when he talked about Cassandra. "Watch it Jason, you better stay professional." Ethan warned. Jason looked at Nick while pointing his finger at Ethan. "Oh, he's got it bad. That was my warning to stay away from her." He said, causing Nick to chuckle. "I'm serious." Ethan said, his voice turning dominant. Jason raised his hand in defeat.

"Keep it professional." Jason said with a wink. Ethan rolled his eyes but then smiled as they let out a chuckle. "We'll all keep it professional." Ethan added. Nick and Jason both rolled their eyes. "I'm serious." Ethan said at the same time his phone went off. 

He opened his phone and a smile came across his face. "Lauren?" Jason asked. Ethan closed his phone after looking at the photo that was sent to him. Lauren stood in a mirror with a nice little red number on. She wrote, 'It's waiting for you ;)'. Ethan swiftly grabbed his jacket and headed to the door.

"Have a nice weekend fella's." 

AddictedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara