The last piece of Cake

2009

Rohit Sharma

The name that has created quite a sensation in the cricket world lately. A young man of just 22 years of age that had attracted a handsome amount of attention to himself with his wonderful skill of timing the ball and perfect cricketing shots.

But to Virat, this has been the name irritating him for the last one week or so. Everytime he hears this name, he wants to tape the mouth of whoever saying it.

When Virat first heard of Rohit before T20 WC, he was excited to see the young man who was earning so much praise from everyone and when he saw him play on TV, he knew what everyone was talking about.

But he then got busy with his cricket and the noise around Rohit died down too, until the last week when Rohit scored a century and the very next day Virat spotted him in the dressing room for the upcoming series.

Flashback:
Virat was enthusiastically taking out his bat from his kitbag. He looked around to see his idols immersed in conversations with each other. A smile played on his lips realising that he has the opportunity to play with these legends.

As he moved his eyes around more, he found a boy around same age as him silently taking out his bat from his kitbag. When he looked closely, he recognised him to be Rohit Sharma.

Virat's face broke into a smile realising that he'll finally have a company when the seniors will be busy. Even though Virat was happiest to be around his idols, he sometimes felt a little out of place amongst them considering he was the only junior in the team.

He didn't took a second before excitedly hopping to Rohit.

"Hii" He said cheerfully scaring Rohit.

"Hi" Rohit replied timidly and again resuming whatever he was doing.

"I'm Virat Kohli" Virat introduced himself extending his hand.

"Rohit Sharma" Rohit answered uncomfortably.

"I know. I have seen you play. Are you in the team for the next series?" Virat asked excitedly.

"Why else would I be here then?" Rohit said the words in a low voice but that didn't stop the damage they caused to Virat's hope of having a cordial relation with him.

Rohit didn't want to be rude but he was a man of less words and giving straightforward replies was his natural self. Adding to that, he had an argument with his mom on the same morning and talking to a new person was never his forte.

"Hm. Did you meet everyone? Shall I introduce you to Mahi Bhai and others?" Virat tried to continue the conversation and offered his genuine help realising that Rohit was not much of an extrovert.

"It's okay. I know them already." He replied continuing whatever he was doing and Virat's face fell.

"Yeah, Right. I guess you're busy. Talk to you later" Virat said and got back to his place.

'What does he think of himself? Couldn't he be little polite?' Virat mumbled under his breath as he started taking his bat out of the kitbag.

"Cheeku" He smiled as soon as he heard the name.

"Yes Bhai" He replied to MS who was standing in front of him.

"Are you going to the nets?" MS asked ruffling his hairs adoringly.

"Yes Bhai"

"Baccha, Can you please do the fielding session first today?" He asked.

"Bhai But I always do batting sessions first" Virat replied questioningly.