Chapter 20

Makaira is feeling absolutely fantastic on Monday morning

Makaira is feeling absolutely fantastic on Monday morning. She made it through the stressful day known as Hiroshi's birthday as well as Naori's death anniversary all wrapped up in one. And therapy went great yesterday, they talked more about the repression of her emotions and various coping strategies that she's planning to put to the test as soon as possible.

So she's feeling ready to take on the world.

But then noon rolls around, and that's when the weird looks start. Soon after, the hushed whispers and the giggles as she walks down the halls.

Makaira gets a sinking feeling in her stomach.

It's like she's in high school again. She's that awkward loner who doesn't speak a single word of Korean and eats lunch by herself everyday.

Makaira swore she would never let herself feel that low again. But now it's like the walls are closing in and there's no way out.

Panicking and on the verge of tears, she bursts into her classroom and beelines to her office. "What the hell is going on?" She whispers to herself, all but collapsing in her chair.

She decides to call Iseul at this point, too anxious to actually leave the safety of her own classroom. It rings and rings until it goes to voicemail, which is when Makaira remembers her friend has a class at the moment.

So she's all alone.

She even tries Yoongi's phone, but he doesn't pick up either.

"Fuck." She groans, putting her head in her hands. Even though the room is silent, her head is buzzing and she feels like she's about to lose it.

Through it all, though, she manages to tune in on a conversation going on nearby. It sounds close, like two people are walking past her classroom.

"...still can't believe it, though. He's way too good for her."

"I know, right? Suga deserves someone more on his level."

"I won't be surprised if Makaira starts walking around here like she's better than all of us. But we all know that's bullshit, he probably regrets ever running into her in the first place."

The two women giggle as their voices get further and further away. But at this point, Makaira can't hear anything except for the blood rushing in her ears.

Everyone knows about her and Yoongi. But how?

That's when it hits her. There's only one person here that she confided in.

"C'mon. Pick up, pick up.."

"Makaira, what's going on?" Asks Iseul in a hushed voice. "You know I have a class right now."

"How could you?" She blurts out, tears welling up in her eyes again.

"What are you talking about?"

"Everyone knows about Yoongi oppa and I and all of our coworkers are gossiping about me, it's a fucking nightmare! I trusted you, how could you betray me like this?"