Chapter 19

"Hi guys! Oh my goodness, you make the cutest little Wonder Woman

"Hi guys! Oh my goodness, you make the cutest little Wonder Woman." Makaira gushes when Hanako and Sakura come walking into the backyard.

"Hiro, Sakura's here!" A tiny Spiderman comes running to say hello to his friend. Shadow follows closely behind with a Spiderman cape on her back. Makaira usually doesn't let the cat outside, but she's pretty well behaved and the backyard is gated and secure.

"Sakura, let's go play!" The two of them run off together, leaving Hanako and Makaira standing there.

"Need any help setting up?" Hanako asks.

"I do, actually." Makaira chuckles. "Follow me."

The two women head inside, where there is a plethora of food and sweet treats on the counters. "Do you mind arranging these cupcakes on the cupcake stand outside?"

"Of course, no problem." She nods, grabbing the containers of superhero-themed cupcakes and taking them outside.

Makaira, meanwhile, starts gathering the rest of the decorations that still need to be put up. She lets out a heavy sigh.

Hiroshi's birthday is always such a bittersweet day for her. A birthday is a time for celebration, a time to commemorate yet another trip around the sun. But this day, exactly six years ago, was simultaneously the best and absolute worst day of her life. It changed her in more ways than she will probably ever know.

And still, it's traumatic and it hurts. But she tries to push it down so that Hiroshi can enjoy his birthday. Because the last thing she wants is for him to feel guilty for being born. No one should have to carry around something so painful.

"Makaira, are you in here? I just wanted to see if you were done with the-"

Makaira turns around, making Iseul pause in the doorway when she sees her teary expression. "Oh, honey. Come here."

She all but collapses in Iseul's arms, clutching tightly to her shirt. "Sorry, I..I thought I would be better at handling this by now. But I'm still a m-mess."

"Don't apologize." Iseul holds her friend close, gently patting her back. "Do you want me to call Yoongi?"

"No, I don't want to bother him." Makaira sniffles. "Besides, a lot of other kids and their parents are coming. I can't risk him being recognized."

"Okay, well at least go upstairs and relax for a little. Take a warm shower, get ready. Maybe take a little nap if you want to. Hanako and I will take care of everything."

"You sure?" Makaira pulls away from the hug, giving her friend a hesitant look.

"Positive, now go." Iseul pushes her friend towards the staircase.

"Okay, okay, I'm going." She laughs weakly, wiping her tears as she trudges up the stairs.

Once she gets to her room, Makaira looks at herself in the mirror. She looks tired, worn out. Sad.