Part 35

"Vinay! How much longer will you take to get the car out?" said Purvi. As the younger woman screamed in agony, she caressed Mitali's back. "A few more minutes, Mitali. Few more minutes!"

"Gudiya! What- "

"No, no, no, no, no! The hell! Mitali!"

Anurag and Adhrit witnessed their worst fears coming true. The weight of an enormous boulder in their hearts drowned them further in an ocean of remorse, leaving no chance of escape. Adhrit held Mitali's face in his hands, but she avoided eye contact, despite his concern.

"Thank God you are here. She went into labour," said Purvi. Sweat poured out of her temples and fearful tears stung in her eyes. "Let's hurry and get her to the hospital! I have called her doctor, and she is waiting at the hospital!"

Adhrit nodded in response. "Help me pick her up!" he said.

Together, Adhrit, Anurag, and Purvi lifted her with Adhrit holding her in his arms, Anurag at her feet, and Purvi supporting her head. The weight of each step leading to the car increased with every yelp of agony Mitali made. Adhrit's head reeled and a wave of nausea rose to his throat. Upon reaching the car, Purvi hastened to open the door.

"I will drive. You stay with Mitali!"

Adhrit handed over the keys to Anurag, who took the driver's seat, and Purvi took the passenger seat. She hummed sacred hymns to protect her brother's child and the woman he loved.

Mitali lay her head on Adhrit's lap, but kept drifting in and out of consciousness because of the unbearable pain. Adhrit caressed her hair and pressed feather-like kisses on her knuckles as he held her hand.

"Amma! She knows..."

Mitali's hoarse whisper in her half-conscious state tore through his racing heart. Tears of pain and repentance streamed down his face.

"Yes! I should have asked. I am so sorry!" he said.

Mitali's sweat had drenched her. The duration and intensity of the contractions increased while the interval between them decreased. Her screams reverberated through the car, shaking everyone inside.

"Two more minutes, Gudiya! Two more minutes!" said Anurag. His grip on the steering wheel was so tight that his knuckles had turned white.

"I'll be a mother, but not known as Maa. Anurag Gupta, you'll be the mother's brother, but never called Mama. You've decided for it to be that way."

The echoes of her contemptuous words lingered in his ears. More than a year had passed, yet the words still haunted him, tormenting him in his sleep and as the ravings of a disturbed mind. Her apathy was like a dagger that pierced him, worse than any words could, and her accusing look twisted the blade even further.

"I will send a car to pick up Aunty. She knows about this, and she would want to be here," said Adhrit. He retrieved his phone from his back pocket and called his driver to give him instructions.

Gratitude swirled in Anurag's eyes as he looked in the rear mirror. The thoughtfulness of Adhrit caused his heart to fill with warmth. He had been struggling with the thought in his mind, but he kept it to himself as Mitali's premature labor resulted from the turn of events. That moment of gratitude confirmed to him that Mitali had found her long-awaited Prince Charming.

Purvi offered a prayer for her deceased baby and Adhrit and Mitali's lost child, hoping that their souls would bless the upcoming child and grant it the privilege they were denied. Every scream that Mitali let out and her whimpering in her barely conscious state made her heart tremble.

Upon their arrival at the hospital, they found a stretcher waiting for them. Purvi and Anurag rushed to their feet to help Adhrit pick Mitali in his arms.

"The baby. The baby should live. Nothing should happen to the baby."

___________________________________________________

"It's baby girl, Mr. Sinha. We have to put her incubator, though. Her lungs have not developed completely. It is common in premature birth," said the doctor. She cradled the newborn in her arms. The miracle of birth never ceased to surprise her, even after witnessing it hundreds of times, and the baby in her arms was proof of that.

Adhrit used the back of his gloved index finger to touch the neonate's cheek. The softness of her skin and the gentleness of her complaints evoked tears of rapture and happiness. Seeing his daughter coo and shake her tiny hands lifted a burden off his heart. She was barely the size of his forearm, and she already meant the world to him.

"Mitali! How is she? Has she seen her?" asked Adhrit.

The doctor shook her head. "We sedated her. She experienced a panic attack, and we had to use sedation. You can meet the baby while she's in the incubator. In a few weeks, she'll be back. There's nothing to worry."

Adhrit smiled, nodding in comprehension. He discovered what pure bliss meant when the baby's hand accidentally touched his finger as she fidgeted.

The doctor took her away to place her in the incubator, and his heart sank. He headed towards Mitali, who was unconscious. He sat next to her and held her cold and clammy hand.

"She looks just like you, Mitali. Our baby girl. She is so beautiful. She's yet to open her eyes. I'm hoping she inherits my eyes. She fulfilled your dream, Mitali! Our baby is here! I'm excited for you to wake up and see her! You would love her. Who am I kidding? You already love her. I love her more than you, and there's no arguing with me about it!"

Placing tender kisses on each of her knuckles, he admired her peaceful face. He couldn't remember the last time he saw her relaxed without worry, lines on her face, and seeing her without any worries reduced his guilt. Adhrit was confident that once she met her mother, who had her own list of grievances, things would shift - and he had no doubt about it.

But, in that moment of joy and happiness, it wasn't important. Nothing did. Except her. Except their baby girl. That's all that would ever matter, and he was sure of it.