the letter and the gift

Mulai dari awal

"We heard he bought you flowers at the dock," Sam reminded, "Were they white roses?"

"Yes," Dara nodded, lips tight enough not to stretch into a weak smile, "And lavenders. I punched your brother the first time I saw him."

"What?!" The table was surprised but not disappointed, instead their pale white cheeks were red and their noses rosy as they laughed out loud. Wineri stayed in shock with her mouth hung open before murmuring, "He probably deserved it."

Dara shrugged, "He was very charming though. It seems like time has passed so much. I keep forgetting faces but his joyous, striking and non-tired face will always remind me in the back of my head of the crimes I have done. Only in seven months, I destroyed his life."

"Jungkook did not know who he was dealing with," Wineri said, "Neither did we, Dara. When he first wrote me a letter about you, I knew I had to get rid of you if he needed that throne by next season. But every passing day, he wrote less and less about removing you. Then the letters stopped coming. He started hiding you from us. Our plans fell apart and we became hopeless. If I knew he was hiding such a capable woman for the throne, maybe I would never have come to the North. I would never interfere-,"

"It was your duty, Wineri," Dara said, "Of course you will come to see what your son is doing. That is why I accepted your letter of visiting. He lied to you. Of marrying a commoner. It did not give me joy to put your son into the dangers of my life-,"

"It was Jungkook's duty to make your problems his," Wineri said, "even if he was not your husband, he was your soldier. I taught my son duties. He served Arver, never stepped down his duties or him even if that man killed my son's father with his own hands. The day Arver died, Jungkook fed the beggars, lowers and uppers, the vulnerables with his own money."

Dara nodded, "He has done a lot for me, Wineri. It is only my responsibility to fight the Curve and bring him to his throne. My ways of ruling and politics are not fair anyways."

"I will side with Jungkook if he says he does not want the throne anymore." Wineri debated, "I don't think he wants the throne anymore, Dara."

"Nonesense," Dara was nervous now, "He had been waiting for twenty five years for this. His birth was no miracle. It was destined for the blood throne. He must rule it. In my absence or presence."

"What do you mean absence?" Sam frowned at Dara.

The woman swallowed before looking at the cautious and enthusiastic looking children, "My loves, should you go to your rooms and draw me flowers? Then we can go find the exact flowers in the garden and dry them on your scrapbooks."

Wineri noticed the purpose to send the kids away upstairs since Jungkook's footsteps were descending down the stairs, his arm bandaged heavily with white gauges. Jungkook waited for the kids to go away before coming to the light out of the corridor, Wineri standing up quickly to help her son walk to the table, "Mother. I can walk. Rest it-,"

"Sit here, I will get you soup," she walked to the kitchen quickly, tearing down the cups and plates in a second to make her son soup.

Dara watched in awe at Wineri's tiny steps around the kitchen, Adona snickering lightly.

Jungkook looked at Dara, "You did not wake me up. Why let me sleep for this long, my body aches now."

The red hair was frizzy today, she hadn't been taking care of it at all as it seemed to Jungkook. Dara pushed her chair towards Jungkook's, closing the gap, "Let me check your wound."

"You checked it last day, let it stay." Jungkook urged.

"Jungkook," Dara gave him a look, "You stabbed yourself with the blade of the compass. I cannot heal it since it cost you the wound. It should heal fast so you can work with it. There have been three letters since morning, asking for your presence at the Caucus. You should claim the residence once more, Wineri has been working your spaces too at the Caucus. And you are refusing to get out of the house."