the letter and the gift

⊰ chapter seventeen ⊱

"Really?" Sam was astonished, her face in terror. She shook her head, "It's been two days and you are telling me brother was stabbed now? Unbelievable. Is he alright? How bad was he stabbed?"

"He is okay," Wineri set the plates on the table as Dara cleaned them with a white cloth before setting them in front of the kids who occupied the table with their low chatterings. The older girls had already left for their courses at the city early in the morning, "He was attacked. Both Dara and Jungkook. By that Eastern monster who is summoning the Curve. Jungkook stabbed himself on his arm to protect Dara-"

The children stopped their chattering before looking at Wineri who instantly regretted mentioning all that infront of them. Dara smiled at the children, seizing their attention, "Does anyone want to hear about the North Palace? Your brother, the Prince, has a big history which may interest you."

"Me!"

"Yes, please, Your Majesty," chimed the youngest son of the family, holding a fork over his break stick as he straightened in his seat, "Tell us how you met our brother!"

"Great," Dara put the plates away before grabbing the breadsticks and butter to spread over them, "Your brother was held captive at the soldiers quarter when he was sixteen. He was so mischievous, that he had himself beat up once because he kept ruining the market places by stealing horses from the stables."

Interested, Wineri sat across the table with a smile on her lips as she stared at Dara, listening with the kids.

"One day, the King asked the guards to bring your brother to the palace. They bantered and argued before your brother agreed to be his soldier. He became the most loyal soldier of the North. Absolutely the man every girl in the city wanted-he was a flirt at the markets, we should blame him. One of the citizen girls even sent him flowers everyday."

"Whoa," Sam raised his brows, "Thank God it was before you came. I can see Era's fate in some of the women's foreheads."

"Your brother became the King's favorite," Dara continued, "He became everyone's favorite. He became North's knight. They relied on him like he was their son. Even in the deepest of knights, Jungkook would show up at any inconvenience. He paid for the debts sometimes. From his salary. The King knew all of it, he wrote all of it on his letters to me. Eventually, the King loved Jungkook like his own ward. Even more than me. Every letter was about what a great son Jungkook would make, everyday it became less about me, but why not? Jeon Jungkook is worth all that praise. Your brother stood out everyone."

"That is so awesome," the kids awed.

Wineri stared at Dara's painful eyes as she smiled at the kids, serving them their buttered breadsticks.

"Then, he was chosen to be my soldier," Dara shrugged, "You can tell I brought many adventures to his life. The man never saw daylight again."

Wineri couldn't help but laugh along with the table. Sam shaking her head, smiling ear to ear. Adona's laugh from the kitchen audible as she breastfed the prince in her arms.