"First you eat, then rest. We will begin at sundown." Merlin threw off the brown robe and as it dropped to the floor, the entire room shifted to reveal the castle of Camelot in its full splendor and glory, as if it had been frozen in time. "I have a room already prepared for you both." Once they had eaten, Merlin led them down a long corridor to their room. While it wasn't large, it was quite opulent for the era. There was a large canopy bed, a crackling fireplace, and a small privy that had modern, but basic fixtures such as a simple shower, sink, and toilet. Even the view through the spell was different.

Liam came up behind Rayne as she stared out the window, and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Are you alright my love?" he asked with his head resting in the crook of her neck. She felt herself relax against him as if a weight had just been released from her very soul.

"I'm not sure, but you make me feel safe," she sighed. Her attention was drawn to the courtyard below by the sound of horses, "Liam, look!" As they both peered down, they realized that Merlin's spell not only restored the castle, but it recreated Camelot itself. There were people down there, an entire community - living, trading, working - as if the world had never moved on from those days. "I've never seen magic this powerful," Rayne gasped. "Now I understand Grandmother's warning."

Liam led her to the bed, making their armor lay across the chair with a wave of his hand. "You need to rest, darling," They climbed into the bed and he pulled Rayne to his chest. They both drifted into an uneasy sleep.

Rayne woke before Liam and lay for a while watching him. She could see that the sunset was streaking across the sky, and knew she needed to meet Merlin. She considered leaving Liam to rest but decided against it. He would be furious at her if she went with Merlin alone. "Liam, sweetie, we need to get up," she kissed him gently, trying to wake him. He didn't budge. She shook him again. This was really unlike him. "Liam, we need to go!" she spoke louder with a twinge of panic in her voice this time. He still did not respond.

"Let him rest," she heard Merlin's voice from behind her. "He is safe, and this part of the training is only for you, granddaughter."

In a flash, Rayne spelled her armor back on and called her Claidheamh Solius to her hands, "What have you done to him, you bastard!" She screamed at him. She raised the sword as if to strike at the wizard.

Merlin turned to face her with rage across his face, "Do not threaten me, child!" His voice echoed in the chambers. The vibration of his voice caused Rayne to lose her footing and stumble. Her sword dropped to her side. "Your God is merely sleeping. He cannot be present for this. Any distraction could cost you your very life." His expression softened, "Now, come. We will practice on the battlements, away from others." Rayne cast a worried look back at Liam, then followed her grandfather reluctantly out of the room.

***

From the top of the castle, Rayne could see for miles. Night had fallen completely and the skies were dotted with thousands of stars. She stood for a moment, still amazed that she was in Camelot, even if it was just a spell.

"You really are here, Rayne. This was my final gift to the kingdom after Arthur fell. It is a pocket in time, where the innocent citizens of Camelot could continue their lives in peace. The spell resets every 200 years." Merlin was standing next to her looking down at the courtyard and across the lands outside the castle walls. His voice seemed heavy with regret. "It was the least I could do for them after all they had suffered."

"I see now what my mother meant when she said the Cauldron of Inspiration was out of reach. It's here in your time spell isn't it?" She shifted her gaze to him. He nodded, with a look of surprise on his face. "Ha, and they call Liam a trickster. I think you may have them all beat, Merlin," she smiled genuinely at him for the first time.