The first thing Rayne saw was the massive talons of the dragon. They were larger than her entire body. Slowly the old dragon emerged from his lair. His scales were a mix of red and gold that glittered in the sunlight and were almost blinding when they stuck your direct line of eyesight. His head was covered in bony crests and ridges along his eyes and the top of his head. His eyes looked like liquid gold. Again, Rayne felt mesmerized and wanted to step forward toward the beast. She knelt before him, and Liam followed her example. "Sean Dóiteáin, thank you for meeting me. I am Rayne and this is Liam - well you probably know him as Loki."

"Thank you for your manners, little one, but you, child need bow to no one," he lifted his snout to the air, "Come, child, climb up with your Trickster. We cannot train here - too much kindling," he laughed. Rayne's eyes were wide as she turned to Liam. He took her hand and helped her onto the back of the great dragon. Hold tight here, Liam pointed to a set of scales near the dragon's neck. This won't cause him pain but will be good support for us. Lie as flat as possible and stay under me, ástvinur.

Once they were secured, Sean Dóiteáin, took off into the air. The feeling was unlike anything either of them had ever experienced. It was as if the great dragon had his own gravity field, keeping them secure, but they could still feel the rush of the wind around them. His landing shook the hills around them, sending echoes for miles. They had no idea just how far they had traveled or where they were.

"Ah, nice to stretch the wings once in a while," the old dragon commented as Liam helped Rayne to the ground. "Welcome to Camelot, little one, well or where it used to be at least," he laughed at his own comment. He made Rayne think of her grandmother. She was always quick with a sassy or silly remark too.

The dragon smiled and nodded, "Thank you little one. Comparing me to Rebecca is quite a compliment."

"Oh, I didn't realize you read minds. Wait, you knew my grandmother?" Rayne said, a bit startled. She cast a glance in Liam's direction. "Um, can you hear when we talk to each other?" Rayne asked with a slight blush on her cheeks.

Sean Dóiteáin let out a deep laugh, "No child, the connection between you two is impenetrable. I do not know any being who can break it. It is quite rare. As for your grandmother, yes I knew her well, a very rare woman indeed," The dragon then walked a few lengths from them, telling her, "Now, show me your fire."

Liam stepped back and found an outcropping of rocks to sit on. He watched as Rayne began to glow and the flames engulfed her. The dragon gave her various commands and she did her best to follow them. He could see that she was tiring quickly. This power took so much from her. When he tried to suggest a break, the old one roared at him. However, when Rayne stumbled and burned herself, the dragon relented.

"She's a mortal, old one," Liam said, "the magic takes its toll on her." He supported her while she drank the water he gave her. "How can she hope to master this power when it feeds off her life force?"

The dragon shifted into a crouching position and pondered Liam's question, "Hmmm...how did you connect to the water, little one?" Rayne blushed and hesitated to answer him. "Oh, I see," he stammered, "well that won't work. Lily always was a bit of a vixen, but her methods work," he chuckled. Sean Dóiteáin turned his focus to Liam, "What about you Trickster, how did you master your fire?"

Liam didn't realize the old dragon knew of his powers and was a bit surprised. "It took centuries of practice and bandages." He tucked a stray hair behind Rayne's ear, "I don't recommend my reckless ways."

The dragon watched the two of them closely, then let out a thunderous laugh, "Ahh, the Fates are very fickle indeed! The answer is right before you, little one. Look to your lover. Share the power between you. His firepower is stronger and has refined over time, but yours is sudden and violent. Put the two together, and you will have control - both of you will." The dragon stood to his full height and roared at them, "Hold hands and focus!"

Liam quickly grasped Rayne's hand, and without another word, the dragon released a long breath of flame upon them. The very rocks they had just been sitting on melted into lava, but the fire swept around them, just as Rayne had done that morning in the shower. It looked like a red curtain whipping around them. The burst of flame ceased. The dragon looked at them with pride. "Yes, yes, this will do for now. With practice, you will not even need to touch or be in the same area to connect your fire." He made a chuffing sound much like a tiger makes when it is happy, "Beidh an bheirt ina gceann."

Liam looked to Rayne for a translation, "The two will become one." He couldn't help but smile and pull her in for a kiss when she said the words. He leaned his forehead against hers, staring deeply into her eyes.

"Ah hem, one more lesson before you go, but this one requires another to teach you." Sean Dóiteáin swung his head in the direction of the castle ruins. "You will find your teacher there. I'll be back in a bit. I'm off to find some plump sheep." With that, the dragon rose into the air and soared away.

Rayne looked at Liam. She was exhausted. "I'm driving," she said as she teleported them to the ruins in tendrils of black smoke. She stumbled a bit when they reappeared.

"You're pushing yourself too much," Liam chided her as he put out his arm to steady her. She just waved him off.

"You might want to listen to him," an unfamiliar voice said. "He does have some experience with the toll magic takes after all." A hooded figure wearing a simple brown robe stepped toward them. "Not to mention, I wouldn't forgive myself if my own granddaughter were hurt under my training." The figure pushed his hood back as he spoke this last sentence. Standing before Rayne and Liam, was her grandfather - Merlin.

Author's Notes: Merlin!!!