Chapter 5: Family? x What x Family?

Y/n

"I'm Menchi, your examiner for the second phase." A thin woman.

"Likewise. I'm Buhara." A larger man settled behind the couch she sits on.

I lost it pretty much after to that.

The edges of my vision blear as I stare the back of the shirt of whoever stands in front of me.

I know I said I'd be there to help Callum and Alice but, shit, I can't focus.

I'm with the fucking fairies, candy land and lollipops. Whatever. My attention has turned off.

I'm tired.

"Y/n, focus." Alice hisses harshly, voice hushed and her breathe reached my ear.  I can't see it, but I just know her fingers are edging towards the adrenaline syringes strapped to the inner linings of her coat.

"Let her rest." Callum hisses to her from my other side. They're both tugging at my arm.

I don't pay attention to the rest of their conversation, or the instructions given by the new examiners.

Everything I've been waiting for, finally out of the lab, has gone in flames. I don't know what to do now.

Forget it? After getting this far? Should I go home after this and force a confession? What was this all for? Will I even be welcomed?

I wasn't even expecting anyone from my—the Zoldyck family to be here. I... I just need to continue with the task I was given. Get a Hunter license and come back home.

Home; the laboratory.

"Wake up." Alice snaps her fingers in front of my face. I'm not sure how long she's been doing that for, but it seems to be for a moment too long telling by her slightly irked expression.

"Yeah? I'm back now." I face her. "Out of candy land now. For good."

They both seem disbelieving of that, telling by the badly hidden looks of nervousness on their faces.

"Shit, Y/n, are you cut?!" Alice's eyes widen as soon as she sees the seeping of blood over my sternum.

"I'm fine. It's just a small cut." I push it off.

They look even more worried now.

"What do we need to do?" I huff, seeing how the other contestants are already off into the forest.

"Kill and cook a pig." Callum replies vaguely, still staring at the gaping cut below my collarbone.

~*~

I'm off. Away from my team, much to their reluctance.

I don't know how far I've gone but with the bracelet, I'm sure I'm able to find my way back.

"Hello." Minute and dead, a voice greets.

I flinch, startled, whipping my head back and forth.

"I was unaware that you were alive still." Number 301. Take note, Y/n.

In front of me is a man, needles with yellow ballpoints sticking out of his lavender skin. Face chiseled and eyes small and daunting. An ugly stump of Mohawk amethyst hair at the top of his bald head.