X

It was still dark outside when you awoke because strange sounds. You opened your eyes and for a moment you did not understand where you are – you thought of yourself still in castle Styria. But it was warmer here and lighter, even at night, and the bed you were in felt so cozy you never wanted to climb out of it.

Then you saw Ca. she was already dressed in red, brushing her blonde locks. You frowned. Something in the way the vampire did simple things unsettled you.

"Mistress? Is everything alright?" a sudden fear engulfed you as you thought of every possible thing that could have gone wrong.

She turned. There was no smile. And her eyes did not sparkle. Her face seemed like a portrait that lost all vitality through the ages.

"Don't worry. We've still got time. You can sleep for a couple more hours," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"We've got time for what?" you asked, your fear growing with every second.

Carmilla looked at you, as if trying to evaluate how much of the truth she could tell you. "We're going back to castle Styria."

"But I thought you said we'll keep traveling up Nor—"

"I know what I said," she cut you off. She seemed more irritated than ever. "Plans have changed. We're going back."

Maybe she had finally decided you were not worth hiding and running away from Darcula for; maybe she thought she could easily replace you with anyone else without distressing herself too much.

"Is it safe?" you asked, dreading the answer.

Ca stared at you, "It is now."

You started to scramble up from bed. "How do you know? Did you get a letter from Laura?"

Her face grew even more grim. "You ask too many questions," she said and turned away from you.

And so mere two hours later you were riding on her black horse once again, and you had your eyes closed, not trusting yourself to not get sick from swinging back and forth. The gates of castle Styria were open and you felt Carmilla's body tense under your grasp.

"Was somebody here?" you whispered in Carmilla's ear, but she didn't find the need to answer. She encouraged the horse forward.

When the road ended, Carmilla hopped off the horse and helped you down, too. She let the horse go freely and it trotted down the plain grey fields away from sight. The castle looked just as it always did – the doors were closed, the windows and bricks intact – and you were about to let out a deep breath of relief—but suddenly Carmilla grasped your wrist from behind.

"Look away," she commanded, her voice going soft.

But you had already seen what she didn't mean for you to see. You gasped. The image was as from the Bible – the most gruesome parts of it. Nailed to the door was Laura's body. Her hands, legs, pelvis were still bleeding, her head was bended up so high the neck must have been broken and her eyes were blood red – there was no life, nothing left in them. She looked like Christ – an uncanny demonic version of it.

You got sick and ran to the side to empty out your breakfast. You were still retching when Carmilla appeared at your side.

"Get inside, y/n," she told you. Her voice showed little to no emotion as if this sight not only did not affect her but had absolutely nothing to do with her.

"I can't get inside," you cried. "She is nailed to the door!" you screamed, trying to make her understand how the mere thought of turning around and looking back at the Crucified made you sick.