IX

But Carmilla's words weren't a dream after all – at least not all of it

"We will leave in a fortnight," Carmilla announced as she entered the dining room where you were having dinner in candlelight. You were cold so you were wearing a long knitted scarf over your dress. Carmilla caressed your hair as she passed and looked over your outfit with disdain.

"But why do we have to leave?" you asked. Laura was there as well and Carmilla shot her a deadly look when she tried to draw nearer.

"Well haven't I told you that yesterday, darling?"

You looked at Laura. Perhaps Carmilla did not want to speak in Laura's presence. But then she said:

"It will not be for long, don't worry. We will come back here when everything is... under control. More or less."

But you were left wondering whether things will ever be under control and if they ever were.

***

You were both laying in Carmilla's bed and she had demanded you to cover yourself with two extra blankets because you were shivering uncontrollably, so now you looked like a baby in a bundle with a demonic red queen by your side—but you were warm and satisfied and that's all that mattered. The two wounds on your neck had just stopped bleeding and you felt drowsy.

You were about to drown into the sleep when you felt Carmilla's nails pinch at your breast where her hand had been resting.

"Don't fall asleep just yet," she spoked loudly.

You flinched and opened your eyes. "What happened?"

Carmilla smiled, but that smile was neither humorous nor kind. "Nothing happened, don't get startled, sweet thing. But you must promise that you'll do what I'll tell you. Anything I tell you." you nodded enthusiastically and Carmilla continued, "If I tell you to run, you run, if I tell you to hide, you hide... And if I tell you to cut your veins and bleed to death, you do just that. Understood?"

You nodded and nodded and nodded—until her last point. But, after a mere second of fruitless thought, you nodded to that too. Swearing to kill yourself if Carmilla solely wished for that.

But those words made you realize not only how loyal you had become to her but also how scared she was – for the first time in her life perhaps. In that moment, you wanted to believe she was scared for your sake (why else would an ancient vampire be frightened by another vampire's war set on humans?) and that she was ready to ask for your suicide only as a last resort and solely spare you from a fate worse than death. You wanted to believe that version you created in your head so bad.

Nonetheless, there was no going back. You wouldn't survive on your own anyways, not when Dracula declared war on all human beings. You were totally at Carmilla's mercy.