VI

ACT TWO: BLOOD-SOAKED LIPS

Carmilla had given you a deadly look that demanded for you to leave immediately

Carmilla had given you a deadly look that demanded for you to leave immediately. And you did so; you ran back to your room, trying not to look at the black-haired man with red eyes. Before turning around the corner you caught a glimpse of Carmilla leading the stranger into one of the chambers you weren't allowed to visit.

You went to your room. Your fingertips were slowly but surely turning blue and you checked the fireplace, wondering if you'd manage to make a fire yourself. Then you heard a knock at your door; aš silent as the flick of butterfly's wings.

"Come in," you said after a moment of doubt.

The door opened and Laura came in. You felt relief as well as disappointment that it wasn't Carmilla. She looked you up and down but there was nothing condescending about that look.

"My lady asked me to see if you need anything," Laura said.

You stared at her for a moment.

"Who is that man?"

Laura ignored your question, focusing instead on your crouched down form.

"I'll set the fire," she said, moving slightly from her away.

You watched her move in swift, effortless motions.

"Why did you write me that letter?"

Laura didn't turn but her back stiffened. "Because I wanted you to know who my lady is. And the situation you're in."

"I know exactly what situation I'm in. I have no choice but to be here. I never had any choice." You shivered remembering your own screams which Laura most definitely heard. "All I can do is hope she'll have mercy on me."

Laura stood up and turned to you. The fire cracked alive. After a moment or so, your room got a lot warmer.

"My lady told me to keep your busy in your room while she's occupied with her... guest," Laura said, her voice wavering on the last word. "I brought you some books to read." She waved at the night table next to your bed; there was a small pile of books.

"Thank you," you said.

"Would you like me to stay with you?" she asked.

You shook your head. You wanted nothing more than for her to leave; you couldn't imagine anything worse than having her near you. For some reason, her presence made you uncomfortable. You wanted badly to feel that way about Carmilla; unfortunately, Carmilla's presence made you want her even more.

"If that man is so dangerous that I cannot leave my room while he's here, why don't you at least tell me who he is?"

Laura pressed her lips into a tight smile and went silent for a few long moments. Then, she said, "He is Vlad Tempes. Your kind knows him better as Count Dracula."