Fifteen

Again! I was used again!

I bit my lips and glared at him. It was all a lie when he called it a “reward.” He lied when he said he married me “just because.”

All lies.

To be honest, I didn’t believe him at the time, but I still couldn’t help my anger.

I asked him bluntly, “So, the deal you mentioned, tell me more about it.”

He smiled. That smile. I hated it. It was a bad sign whenever he smiled. It was poisonous.

“You need to act as my shield until I get rid of the dowager empress. It would be even better if you can help in getting rid of her.”

“… .and what do I get in return?”

“I will grant your wish. I can make it possible for you to create a new life outside of this castle, or I can even help you find your way back home.”

“But you said you didn’t want to!”

“This is all under the assumption that you will be able to convince me of your story. If your story is really true, then I obviously won’t be able to promise to return you to your world. However, if you want me to try, you can be sure I would be the best person to help you in this world.”

That was true. He was the emperor of Cransia, the strongest empire in this world. If I wanted even a chance of going back, I needed his help.

I remembered the dowager empress’s expression. She clearly wanted to kill me. This wouldn’t be easy. It will be very dangerous. However, I knew the saying. No pain, no gain.

I looked straight into his eyes and asked, “How can I trust that you will keep your promise?”

“I believed in your preposterous story, so you should trust me too. You are my accomplice, after all.”

“You said you will pretend to believe me, not believe me for real.”

“Same thing.”

I sighed. I couldn’t trust him, but I had no other choice. I nodded in the end.

“Alright. I will pretend to believe your word.”

Let’s give him another chance.

He laughed loudly.

We both stood up. Before leaving, I saw the inside of his teacup. The silver edges of the cup had turned black.

We looked at each other but didn’t say anything.

A kind and calm looking middle-aged lady bowed to me.

Her light brown hair was brushed back neatly, and her dress was elegant but not overly extravagant. The pieces of jewelry she wore on her hair and on her body were minimal and classy. She was older, but it was clear that she must have been a beauty in her younger days.

“Greetings, my lady. I have been assigned by the emperor to be your chief maid in waiting. I am Duchess Gust. Please call me Samantha.”

I nodded. “Nice to meet you, Samantha.”

The lines around her lips were deep and pronounced. Her face looked like she was smiling even when she wasn’t. Unlike the woman standing behind me.

The woman behind me asked sharply, “Excuse me, Duchess Gust.”

“Yes, Dame Cloyne.”

Orlean Cloyne.

Dame was the title given to a woman equivalent to the rank of a knight.