Chapter 13: Riju, The Gerudo Chief

"I apologize for coming on such short notice," I said to the guards that were stationed at front door into the town. "Do you think Chief Riju will be available for me to speak with me today?" They looked at each other and then only gestured for me to go in, nodding in a 'more or less' type of way.

I strolled in, hoping she'd be available to speak with me. Once I had spoken to her, I would go home. Home to confront my parents and figure out the meaning of this whole mess.

I walked up the steps to the room where the Chief's throne was, and I spotted a guard standing in front of it, back faced to me, speaking to her.

"Riju!" I ran to the throne, and I saw the tall guard quickly swivel her head back to look at me, and I quickly stopped and kneeled down. "I mean- Lady Riju."

"Lady Riju?" I heard, and when I looked up, the guard moved enough for me to see Merona, Riju's wife, sitting there with a small smile on her face. "Well then, hello, Lady Zelda."

"Oh! I- hello, Merona." I stood up and bowed my head to her, and she chuckled and did the same, gesturing for the guard to leave us be for a moment while she leaned forward a bit, crossing her legs. "I'm sorry I've just been a bit tired these last few days. Would you happen to know where Riju is?"

"Well, I haven't exactly seen her since this morning at breakfast." She pondered, rested her elbow on the armrest with her fingers tapping her chin in thought. "She's likely out doing some training with Vah Naboris. She's been there an awful lot lately." She glanced out the window towards the desert where the Divine Beast was sometimes seen wandering. Though, it wasn't there now.

"Mother!" A young girl - Riju's daughter- ran into the room, a small device- one that must have been a Sheikah slate- in her hands, and she stopped next to the throne. "Can I go out sand sealing with Lemera? Pretty please?"

"Not today, Edrys. I have a trip to make to the Northern Ice House, and I don't want you out riding around if I'm not here." Merona told her, and she groaned and continued to plead.

"But mom said-!"

"And your mom isn't here right now, Edrys. She and I both have a lot to do today." She said, and Edrys sighed and nodded, giving in to what her mother said but clearly not happy about it. "Tell you what. When she gets home, all three of us will go out for icecream tonight, and then we can go sandsealing tomorrow! How does that sound?"

"Okay!" Edrys smiled and ran back up the stairs, but she stopped and ran back down for a moment. "Hi Idalia!" And then she was off again. Merona laughed and reclined back into her throne.

"She's a ball of energy," She chuckled, looking up at the ceiling that floored Edrys's bedroom. "Reminds me of her mom when we first met." She went off into a bit of a daydream, but snapped out of it fairly quickly. "I'm sorry, Idalia, I won't keep you much longer. If you need any assistance getting to Vah Naboris, I'm sure the guards would be happy to help."

"Alright. Thank you, Merona." I bowed again to her, and then headed off on my way while she continued her meeting with the captain.

~~~~

I walked up to Spectacle Rock and saw the giant Divine Beast perched and overlooking Hyrule. I walked inside and looked around the hollow machine, searching for the Gerudo Chief. I could hear the clicks of my heels against the ancient paving echoing through, and I was about to call out again when I heard something.

Suddenly, a bolt of lightning shot down next to me, and I yelped as I stumbled out of it's way. I looked up, and realized Riju must have been somewhere higher. So up the stairs I went.

"Riju?" I said quietly as I walked down the hall, and I eventually reached a door to the outside balconies. I saw Riju practicing a few moves, and she spun around and snapped, sending a bolt of lightning down towards the ground outside. I took a few quiet steps in, thinking she didn't see me, but she held her sword out.