5

You had the strangest dream.

You woke up to the sun shining brightly making you shift your back to the window as you tried to recall the fuzzy memory.

You couldn't.

Annoyed that it was one of those dreams that felt good but you couldn't recall, you got up and took a shower, sitting in front of the mirror as you did your morning routine, drying your hair, humming.

Sierra knocked and entered, muttering good morning and going to your closet to pick some clothes for you, "Your father is going to have a meeting with you and Dohyun. You should... act wisely today."

"When do I not?" You rolled your eyes as she left, dressing in the navy blue suit she'd left out for you. Finishing your makeup and wearing light accessories with a watch, you took your cane- you'd definitely be needing it today. You could already feel that it was going to be one of those days.

As you sat in your car on the way to the office, you tried to recall the events of last night- you'd gone out for a drink, and then...

Then what?

You frowned- you were still worried about the absence of your memory from a few days ago and now you had another piece you couldn't recall? You were never the one to get so drunk that you couldn't recall the events of that time. Then what was the reason? Should you be visiting the doctor?

You reached the office, taking the elevator up to your dad's floor and making your way inside, finding the old man reading the newspaper, greeting you with 'good morning', and you took the sofa seat in front of him.

"That son of yours never arrives on time," you commented as you took your own newspaper.

"You're rather early today," your dad looked at you pointedly.

"Well, I had a few things to discuss with you," you put one leg over the other, "I think we can both agree that I have been doing a better job than Dohyun ever since I came back."

Your dad said nothing as he continued to stare at you, and you took that as a cue to continue, "I am your legitimate heir- not that that matters anymore. If Dohyun had been doing a good job, I would have gladly kept my position as COO. But... I really don't think Dohyun is suitable as CEO now that you're thinking of actually stepping down."

"And you think you're up for it?" Your dad's brow was raised and you noticed the glint of hope in his eyes.

"You have to stay for a good few years here, dad," you smirked, "you're still far from retirement. We can keep working and take the load off your shoulders, but I suggest you stay till the last possible day. As long as you can manage."

"What makes you think so? I am genuinely curious."

"Dohyun... you have to have known that he only cares about his 'title' position, don't you?" You raised a brow and your dad slumped back, not answering, "The minute you name him CEO, he's going to make sure you're out of the picture. Literally everyone in here knows that, dad."

Your dad was looking outside the window as he sighed, "That's what happens when you have kids and you promise them what you worked on all your life."

"Yeah, but I think it's unfair that Dohyun thinks like that. Because if it was me..." you were playing on dangerous waters now, "I wouldn't want you to step down until you're sick of working, to be honest. This company is our family legacy, dad. We don't want to put it in the hands of someone who only cares about making money through whatever means possible, and we don't want our reputation ruined."

Your dad nodded slowly- you knew you'd gotten to him. The door opened, Dohyun entering with a little greeting and you looked at your father. "Do think about what I said. No rush."