CHAPTER FIVE: Brianny

"Who was the first president of the United States?"

I popped a fingertip in my mouth and nibbled the nail. "Um," I stalled, pretending to scrutinize the way Merely was reheating the salmon. "The guy with white hair." I yanked my finger from my unforgiving teeth and snapped my fingers. "James Washington?"

Even though she was in the kitchen, I could hear Merely suck in her breath with impatience. "George Washington," she said.

My annoyance with Merely from the day before came flooding back. "If you know everything then why don't you just study for me?" I growled. "James. George. They're all the same weird, ancient names that people had back then."

"No, they're different. What year did Enovich become Head Senator?"

"Twenty-three o'four," I shot back hotly. Just like Merely told me, anger had cleared my mind.

Merely gave an approving nod. "What year did he give his "New America" speech?"

I half-closed an eye as my clarity of mind wavered. "Twenty-three twelve?"

"Good. Last question. How long have the three Americas been one republic?"

I had no idea. "Umm...since forever?" I said, hoping my sarcasm would disguise my ignorance.

Car headlights cast two rays of light straight through the thin curtains and to the dining table where I sat hunched over my history books. I crept over to the window and peeked through the curtain.

"Dexton's here," I said, as a white car in the dark driveway turned its headlights off. I whistled. "Souped up ride!"

Merely rushed over and pulled me away from the window. "Bree, what are you doing? You can't just put your face in the window. What if it's not Dexton?"

"I can feel it in my bones," I said with a smirk.

"Everyone in the city has a car like that. Even Inspectors."

"Oh."

Merely craned her neck to look out the window. "That's not his car, but it's him. Maybe he has another one." She looked upset, and I couldn't guess why. No matter how much she complained, Merely had always enjoyed Dexton's visits.

I moved to open the door, but she held me back. With a stern glance in my direction, Merely stepped outside and shut the door behind her. I peeked between the curtains again. She and Dexton were standing under the porch, and though I could only hear muffled words, I could tell from their agitated body language that they were arguing. At one point in their conversation, Merely stamped her foot and tossed her head back. We briefly made eye contact, and I hastily pulled away from the window. Their voices moved farther away.

I sat at the bottom of the staircase and hugged my knees to my chest. I had no idea what Merely and Dexton could've been arguing about. They hardly argued, and definitely not with so much anger. What I saw in Merely's eyes was more than anger, though. They were filled with wariness, as if she thought someone would hurt her. The voices finally fell silent, and the door opened.

I jumped up. "Hey, Dexton," I said in a tone that pretended like I hadn't seen their argument.

Merely brushed past me. "Dinner should be hot now, then Dexton and I'll be out to the BM location?" Without waiting for an answer, she headed to the kitchen.

Dexton entered the house. "Yeah, sure," he answered.

I eyed the bag and smiled. "What'd you get for me?"

Dexton laughed. "Who said I got something for you?" He, too, was pretending like the argument never happened.

I shrugged and sauntered off to the table. "Dinner's ready," I said over my shoulder.