ᦓ꠸᥊

Chapter six: I know all too well

♥ ▸⚬☉⚬◂ ♥

She tryna be her best self. She was so confident about who she is and yet before coming to college she lost herself again. Not because of her recent breakup or being tossed out on the street but her support system broke down on her, the family she wanted to become successful for and support them through all their money trouble.
Yet the truth be told she felt like a wallet. Only talked about her success but her worries were always belittled as if struggling isn't an option in her family.

Suck it up! Everyone has troubles, but that doesn't mean you should end your life over it.

The sudden thought popped into her head. Her mother and father's words were scars on Zefira's and without a blink of an eye, she knew she had to give up on her family and get herself in her safe place. And in that safe place, she found God on her side.

If my parents can't be the mother and father I need then let God be my parent.

The sudden thought had Zefira's rolling over in bed, "A year. It's been a year, I must be still hurting, huh."

She desperately tucks the covers over her head, rolling back and forth under the covers while she screams in despair. Zefira surprisingly falls off but continues whining in pain until an unknown guest spoke, "You probably should get ready for class before we're late."

I popped out from my tangled blankets on the floor and searched for that soothing voice. I spotted her in the closet fixing her tie. I jumped up and embarrassingly greeted her, "Hi, you must be my roommate."

"Is it that obvious?" She responded snappy or that's what it seemed like to me.

"Not really I get a lot of random people coming in and out here, especially the drunk ones that think this is the bathroom but I just hope and pray they don't throw up in here. By the way, the bathroom is down the hall," I said, with a meaningless smile.

She seemed dumbfounded, staring at me with her fingertips hanging onto her tie. I looked left and right before blinking and thinning my lips, "Were we not being sarcastic? Anyways, I'll be your roommate all year. I'm Zefira Aloula Winters and I hope we'll get along very well!"

"Likewise," she says under her voice as she continues with her tie.

I walk away putting my covers back on the bed, "See! We're already on a great start," I replied, with a fake smile.

"I'm Crystal Woodens," she says suddenly behind me. Scaring me unprovoked I held my scream in my throat as I leaned a little over my bed from her scary action.

I softly nod my head as I fully sit on the bed, "By the way you have 30 minutes until class starts," she casually says, walking out the door.

30 minutes. Didn't I wake up from my alarm?

I reached over for the clock on my nightstand that was faced down and with one glance I realized, "I DIDN'T!"

I dropped everything and dashed off my bed when I tripped over the mess in my room, well our rooms now.

It would have been nice to know when my roommate was moving in, I would have cleaned up a bit.

As Zefira talked to herself in her mind she continued to rush to get ready for class. Slipping on a pair of her ripped light blue jeans, a bra, and her loud red hoodie that had her out the door in no time. All she had to do was brush her teeth and hair.

Recently I got a new haircut and a color I've been thinking about for two years now. It is crazy beautiful and it fits me very well. Especially my haircut. I got a wolf cut and ginger hair now but it's not too orange or too red but dark when it needs to be and light in the sun. I gotta say my stylist was great at putting golden highlights in my hair.

Zefira finished up in the bathroom and started to grab everything as she slipped on her shoes she got a message just before opening the door:

Unknown:
Would you clean up the room before I get back tonight? I'd like to start on my homework immediately when I get back to a clean room.

Crystal. How did she get my number?

Another message came through from Crystal:
Btw the TA gave me your number since I don't have a key yet to our room.

Zefira:
Sorry for the mess, no one said you were coming in the middle of the night or I would have cleaned up a lot sooner for you, but there's no problem! I can be back here before your class ends and clean up the place plus I'll leave the key under the mat for you since I'm hitting the library after cleaning up here.

Crystal:
Ok.

That's one heck of a response. Oh, well I guess it could be worse.

Time skip

Silence should be my enemy. All this thinking and guesses are going to kill me. When I think about it I didn't start the day off right anyways so this was just bound to happen to me. I have to thank the Gods tonight for not making me a screenwriter even though I do a little here and there but I'm mostly grateful for the filmmaking, I can't help my imagination when I read from others.

Zefira went on and on in the library. Her thoughts were rambling when her focus was supposed to be on homework but it didn't stop until an unexpected young man caught her attention pacing back and forth next to her table.

I glance up to my right and see a boy moving around my table. I quietly watch figuring out what he could possibly want. After a minute he stopped moving before turning his back toward my table as he took a deep breath.

The boy spun around making me jump a little in my chair before saying, "Excuse me," he said looking up from the floor, "Would you fall in love with me if I asked you to?"

Hmm, interesting. Someone wants me to try and fall in love with them. Do I want another heartbreak?

"Nope," I responded out loud.

"What if I beg?"

"Not even if you begged," I shook my head, forcing my eyes upon my homework.

The boy looked like he was going to walk away but he came back determined, "Fall in love with me! He desperately whispered out loud in the library.

I jerked back in my chair as he hung onto my chair and the table. I didn't really get a good look at him because of how shocked I was by the strange boy but he seemed serious with those big brown eyes. I started to ease up just to say, "I'm not interested."

Weird.

The boy stood up straight. I would have hoped he'd accept his rejection but he pulled out a pen and a small notebook that said 'talking to the moon'. He started writing in it and ripped the paper out, "In case you change your mind," he says, leaving the note that I assumed was his phone number.

He left and soon after I left as well, leaving his number on that same table that I wouldn't be back to. I crossed my books against my chest looking back at his number knowing all too well that I could fall in love with someone like him and then the outcome of it all would just fall apart.

© Ren Sherman Nonfiction