Chapter 44

We had made it to the woods successfully somehow fitting in Argyle's pizza van. It was an...annoying ride due to the fact that he played the same song over and over. It felt similar to how the RV was. This song however, repeated the same lyrics over and over. If I had to hear it one more time I think I would have gone insane. He however, loved it. I had never heard the song before today and now I knew all of the lyrics.

As Nancy handed each one of the older kids a gun, I couldn't help but feel a little worried. Most of us hadn't ever used a gun...well a hunting gun with the top sawed off of it. We weren't exactly the type to just have them laying around like she was.

"Nance, do you think this is a good i-"

POW. The sound echoed for all of us to hear it very clearly. We quickly turned to see Argyle awkwardly smiling and handing his gun over to Jonathan. "Sorry Brochahos...Didn't think it was that easy to fire off." We all looked over to where the gun was pointing when it shot off to see a hole through a tree on the ground. Nancy's guns...were powerful to say the least.

Nancy quickly snatched Argyle's old gun out of Jonathan's hands before shaking her head. "You really need to be careful with these... you could've killed someone!" Nancy looked around for a little until she sighed and handed the gun over to Max. "Be careful with it or I swear... I'll have Steve chew you out. You know how his lectures can be."

Max's eyes widened before nodding and gripping onto the gun tightly nowhere near the trigger. I honestly don't think my lectures are that bad...but I guess they are based off the look on Max and Lucas's face. The two started to mumble argue between each other when Nancy walked away from their area.

Nancy seemed pretty serious about this operation. Arguably more so than the last time we were in the upside down. Robin slowly stepped in front of her to try and calm her down.

It was weird to be the one on the outside. I was normally the one who would do all of the talking and save Dustin...but all of the people around me cared about him.

I slowly walked over to Max and Lucas who were currently arguing about who to hold the gun but Max had a death grip on it. "Hey...sorry to break up the conversation...but can I talk with you guys for a second? I think it's kind of an important topic."

They slowly looked up at me before unanimously saying "Yeah" or "Sure" and nodding their heads.

"How did you not know that Dustin was still alive...I mean you guys were with him and checked his pulse, right? I just don't see how it could even be possible."

Max started to awkwardly smile and rock back and forth between her heel and toes before laughing. "Yeah...about that..."

Lucas's eyes widened before nudging Max's arm. "I thought you checked his pulse! You're telling me this whole time we've been grieving his death and he's just been alive because you didn't check his pulse?"

Max slowly nodded before sticking her hands up "IN MY DEFENSE...I don't know how to successfully check someone's pulse..."

Mike squeezed his head between the two with wide eyes. "I'm sorry... but what??! We learn that in gym class like...every year when we track our BPM. How can you not know?!"

Max shrugged before putting her hands into her jacket pockets "I normally just make up a number and go with it. I didn't really care that much about it and neither did the teachers."