4 - I Need to Become a Background Character

Zacznij od początku

The room was silent. The assassin, who was desperately searching for something, was caught off guard by a five year old watching him with an expressionless face.

Is it possible he's looking for a pill which would kill him without pain? I mused. I drew out a small blade from my breast pocket, one that snugly fit onto my chubby hand. Goodbye, Death Flag.

I, immune to the white flames, moved my arm through them unfettered. Without hesitation, I threw the dagger down and plunged it into his supple, sweaty flesh.

Perhaps a bit after I had perfectly silenced him, I recalled the introduction of the otome game.

A bloody young Remis, a dagger plunged into his fair, young flesh, with tears flooding his wide eyes and a screaming Aileen beside him.

"She was never the same again."

With that in mind, I withdrew the dagger and viciously plunged it into the assassin's knavel then cut up to his jaw. Wet, warm blood spewed out, along with his sliced liver and lungs.

His bloodshot eyes were the last thing I saw before I felt a sharp, piercing agony infect my thigh.

The assassin collapsed to the floor. Blood splattered onto my face, staining my white silk clothes.

I cried in agony. My vision shook as I clutched my thigh in anguish. I soon slumped onto the floor as blood poured out of my thigh.

The white flames instantly vanished, leaving the room pitch dark once more.

Only the sounds of Aileen's anxious screaming were left in the room.

----

"Remi... please, just wake up..."

"No..."

"Brother... wake up...!"

I could hear the sound of desperate sobs and cries as my consciousness slowly returned. A pounding headache soon ensued as I rushed to push myself up.

"Ugh..." I groaned and tried to move; it felt as if my limbs were tied down to an invisible strap, preventing me from shifting.

I soon remembered what happened that night.

How could I be that impulsive, I berated. Why... was I so impulsive. The sudden urge to do something so high-risk washed over me. Uncontrollably.

And now I will have to face the repercussions for my actions.

This wasn't part of the plan.

Why? Why did I do something so unnecessary? What was the point? I was never that reckless, I was never so rash. I was so violent, and for what? He was going to die no matter the case. There was no point in my second strike.

I must have grown much more attached to this world than I previously believed.

How troublesome...

----

I was fussed over by my family and servants for days. When the family doctor said that I wouldn't be able to walk for weeks, Aileen was on the floor faster than the wind, throwing a tantrum and repeatedly griping, "Heal Remi NOW! I WANT HIM TO HEAL NOW!" She seemed to think that if she screamed enough, her wish would be granted.

That tantrum seemed to trigger my parents, because they soon threw a tantrum by sending ten formal complaints right to the King.

----

(A/N: I'm gonna skip familial love things and get right to the good part!)

"Apparently, the King sent the prime minister to formally apologize on his behalf."

"Yes, and did you hear? The prime minister is bringing his son as well."

"Ah, it's probably because he thinks that bringing his son could help show his remorse."

"Yeah, so the son could talk to the Young Master, right? They are around the same age, after all."

"When were they coming again? The Head Maid said... next week, wasn't it?"

"Hmmm... yes, I believe so."

The maids soon left after cleaning the hallway. My hands slowly clenched the wheels of my pushchair with a pale face.

Cyrus Fortier, the son of the prime minister of Vires. Also known as capture target no. 2, the yandere.

He was supposed to be introduced much later. Two years later, after the assassination of the original Remis. He was a close friend of the original Aileen.

I knew the ramifications of me evading death. It directly affected the heroine of the otome game, and thus affected the entire world. I was prepared for that consequence. However, I half-expected the capture targets to be immovable, as they were also one of the main characters and their path was already partly pre-determined.

A capture target was just as vital as the heroine. They had equal effects on the world. The meeting between one main character and another was crucial for the plotlines.

Cyrus was supposed to meet the heroine two years later.

The butterfly effect was strong, especially in a game world where every action leads to a new route, leading to a new end, whether it would be a Good or Bad.

So... what possible repercussions could I have for moving a paramount event so much earlier than it was predetermined to?

I'm fucked.

----

I was carried down the imposing spiral staircase by Eliad. At this point, I was quite used to being in his arms... he seemed to be quite adamant in carrying me in any situation which required so... perhaps he was just worried about me. Yes, that must be it.

The doors to the mansion slowly creaked open as servants hurriedly started to prepare for the arrival of highly dignified guests.

I saw two flawlessly adorned carriages both marked with beautiful golden dragon crests enter the front garden. The official herald of the Fortier family announced their arrival. Aileen jumped in excitement as she saw four figures exit the carriages and walk towards the mansion.

I wanted to scream. I briskly tugged on Eliad's sleeves and motioned for him to move his head down. "Can I go back to my room...? Please..." I beseeched, my breath gently gliding past his ears. I felt him shiver slightly and felt his ears shy away from my mouth. I need to get out of here... I don't wanna meet the capture target! ONE IS ENOUGH! TAKE ME AWAY, SATAN!

Yes, my rationality had definitely been taken away by pure desperation at that moment.

----

"Hi! My name's Cyrus! It's nice to meet you!" He exclaimed in a childish voice.

It's not nice to meet you, too. "Ah... it's nice to meet you."

In fact, I have to go now and not be involved with you.

Dammit, my leg. Fuck.

(A/N: Looking forward to the next chapter!)