Chapter 88: ITY31

Start from the beginning

"Tomorrow is New Years, are we doing anything?"

"I thought we wanted to do somethin' together, pal." Twice leaned his head on his hand, propped up on the table. "Hawks, didn't you tell me you had something to do?"

He smiled at me. "It got cancelled. I got as much time for you as you want, darling." He winked.

I furrowed my brows, looking to Twice reluctantly. "Toga wanted to come with me to you, but Dabi needed her for something. I was planning on meeting some old friends and would like you to meet them. The others already know."

I don't know if he looks surprised or happy, his eyes widened as he sat upright. "That sounds great! I have a guest coming as well." Hawks chimed in, grinning. "Who might that be?"

"It's a surprise. Only for you." I eyed him, but let it go. He can do whatever he wants. Maybe it's someone from the HPSC who thinks that Hawks can't get the job right. Or I. Maybe Hawks found a way to have enough time to communicate with them and complained about me.

Whatever.

"Did that Geten already come to ya? He is pretty shy but he wanted to talk to ya for a while now." I turned my head towards Twice again and shook my head. "I never talked with Ice Man before." I admitted.

I wanted to talk with him too, though. He frustrated Dabi a lot the first time we came here. The fight that happened in Deika City.

Twice stood up all of a sudden. "That bastard! Never knows how to speak. Then I'll call him for ya, you wait here."

"Okay." Twice walked out with a focused look.

Cute.

The bird in front of me pulled something out and placed it in front of me. Some kind of device that I do not recognize. I eyed it before turning my attention back towards Hawks. He only motioned for me to go ahead, so I took it into my right hand and turned it around.

'Cat'

It was engraved in the middle of the device. I still have no clue what this is. But then I saw the button, a tiny one that I could only press with a toothpick or something as thin as one. I examined the sides of the device and found something else I could press. It wasn't a button, though. It was bigger than the other button. If I pressed this, something, probably paper, would push out.

The device was the size of my hand, so it's probably just a tiny message. Maybe a code, or a name.

"Your classmates ask about you." Hawks said.

"I dropped school, weren't they told?" I looked up from the device and shoved it into one of my side pockets. Hawks shrugged his shoulders.

No one of us said anything the remaining time we waited for Geten. When he finally arrived without Twice, he bowed his head when he reached me.

"Ice Man, sit down. I heard you wanted to talk to me."

He slowly took a seat, looking towards Hawks but then back to me. Geten looked sure of himself. "Fight against me." I blinked slowly. "Fight against you?"

"It is inevitable for me to fight against someone who is better than me. I'm asking you to teach me your ways. You are the leader now." He said those words shamelessly. As if I should know his incapacity and teach him better in fighting.

"And why should I?"

"Excuse me for any disrespect. I trained since I was little and I still haven't reached my goal. Because you are the leader it should be one of your duties to improve the army as much as you can."

"Right. I'm the leader. Not you. Do you know how you sounded like right now? They all sounded like commands. I'm at the top. Then comes Emessa. Then the 7, including you."

He pursued his lips and I heard Hawks chuckle slightly. "Geten, you are a class B at most. For me a C. What makes you think I would train someone like you when I have other problems at hand?"

He opened his mouth to say something, but then he bit down his tongue, gripping his parka. I feel like an ass right now, but I hate people telling me what to do. "This wasn't said to belittle you." I scratched the back of my neck with a sigh. "How about you train with one of the 7? Dabi would be the best option. If you win against him 4 times in a row, you can come back and ask me nicely."

~

I debated on pressing the button, staring at the device for over 10 minutes now. Someone who associates themselves with cats, or just loves them in general. The only person that comes to my mind is Aizawa, but why would he want to contact me? I threw the device on the floor and turned my back to it, trying to keep my eyes closed while laying on the couch.

After 3 hours of trying to fall asleep, I stood up with a loud sigh and went to pick up the device from the floor. I manipulated water and formed it into a thin spike, solidifying it over my hand. I pushed the tiny button with it and the device turned on.

Nothing else happened. Just dark green light emitting through it. I shook it near my ear and tried to listen, then I remembered there was something else I can press.

When I pressed the lid, it plopped up the moment I took my finger off it. Inside was a little parchment paper with what seems like a code.

Ity31

'Do I really have to guess what this is supposed to mean?'

I want to laugh and scoff at the same time, but I lack the energy.

1638 words