Chapter 55: Why?

Mavis' pov

"Tragic" I mumbled to myself as I closed the book that I was reading. And here I thought they would have met again more.... I don't know, just more. I need more of that story. What do they do next? Does he trust her again just like he did before discovering her previous thoughts? What she wanted to do, but never did because of love?

Ugh, I can't focus! Keigo's words last night are too distracting. Even sleeping was futile in this situation. Laying awake in my bed and staring into the dark was the only thing I did last night.

The cold shower that I took this morning didn't help. Or the morning jogg. It rather pissed me off more as I felt eyes of someone on me. Watching every step that I took. They even doubled since yesterday.

"Mavis, I told you to not read while I am lecturing." Aizawa snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked up. There he stood, only inches away from where I sat, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes reflecting his calmness. Bitter calmness.

"Well, you can take this book, too. I already finished it." I grinned up at him. He sighed through his nose. The class didn't even care what currently was happening between me and Aizawa. Writing something on a piece of paper, really concentrated. It's normal that Aizawa takes my books away that have nothing to do with his lecture, because I would never listen to what he says.

Didn't actually need to, because I am placed 3rd in class with my grades. "How often do you expect me to warn you before I lose my temper?" He asked, his eyes flickering from my book to me.

"You wouldn't lose your temper because of me not caring about your lessons, dear Aizawa. Besides, it's quite confusing why you even bother to take my books from me? Do you take the opportunity to read them yourself, because I got good taste in books?" He watched me for a moment longer, before taking my book and going back to the front of the class. And there goes another book of mine...

He gives them back in the end of the month. Now guess how many books he took from me this month alone. After class ended, and it was time for lunch, I slowly packed my things so I could have a chance to speak with Aizawa alone. The bracelet that I despise, dangling with every movement of mine.

Just as we both were alone, I took my backpack and went up to Aizawa. "Hurry up." He said lazily, waiting in front of the big door with his keys. "You know, while reading this book-" I nodded towards 'The shadows between us' which Aizawa held in his free hand. "It slightly opened my eyes. You should give it a try and read it, too."

He turned towards me while I was walking towards the halls, my back facing him. "What do you mean?" My footing stopped and I turned around, taking a deep breath and glancing at the book again.

"In this book, a woman had the intention to get a king's heart and then poison him after marriage." I took two steps towards Aizawa, closing a bit of the gap that was between us. "She got his heart, while he got hers. And she thought better of killing him and didn't do it in the end."

Aizawa listened with an expectant glint in his eyes. "Mavis, if this goes anywhere then make it quick. I have lunch."

"She thought about it, yes. But she didn't do it in the end. She did nothing that she should have been punished for, only thought about it.

"So tell me, Aizawa. Why do I get punished for something that I never did, and certainly never thought about? Why does she get her happy ending while I get to lock my quirk away? Why does my loyalty get questioned when I didn't even fight against you? Why do I get doubted of because I tried to help a girl?" His face remained stoic, but his eyes betrayed him. Guilt.

I could have laughed when I saw it. What does he want to archive with the emotion guilt? Guilt only slows you down, but will never stop you from doing something. It only makes you at the end useless.

"Mavis-" he started but I cut him off. "Everyone from the Shie Hassaikai can tell you that I never harmed her. I never did something that you wouldn't have done in my situation-"

"Wrong. I would have told someone about her." He cut me off, but it only resulted in getting a bitter laugh out of me.

"And get the whole class in danger?" He went quiet after that. "I had an option; either get my friends, the class and you in danger. Or keep quiet and pray to the gods that a miracle would happen and I could get Eri out on my own, while no one of you gets harmed."

I took in a breath while closing my eyes, slowly. "I would do it again, you know. Nothing can hold me back from that. The only thing that truly hurt me was and is that you don't trust me anymore, Aizawa. When Deku and blondie told you guys about that encounter with Eri, Kai and me, you believed them."

"I didn't-" he tried to deny it but I saw it in his eyes that day, his voice. "Yes, you did. You guys called me to question my knowledge about Eri, but you already believed that I was doing the same as he did.

"You told me that I wouldn't be alone, but you were one of the first persons that jumped into conclusions." He tried to reach out for me, but I took a step back.

"You shouldn't touch a villain, Sensei. They are dangerous when they are broken from someone they would never expect." I referred to what he first called me after the infiltration, when I was chained on a table, with my quirks canceled.

Without a last glance, I went through that long hallway, which was utterly silent. Aizawa calling my name was the only thing that echoed in the empty hallway, but I didn't stop. I don't know if it was the stress that let me say these things, or this need that I tried to stifle in for weeks now.

It didn't help that Keigo would be here in a couple of hours and I would stand in front of his superior. Not when it is a woman that works for the government since I was a kid.

1125 words