Bonus Chapter (rewritten)

(Rewritten: February 19th, 2024)

Becca And Drew's First Talk

November, 2016

05:00 AM

The thanksgiving holidays were going on, which gave Becca the allowance to stay up and wake up late everyday.

Now, Becca was never the 'book-girl' type. She had never read any books in her life apart from the few books her librarian had forced her to read in school.

But the last week had turned her life upside down. She had come across the App called 'Wattpad' and was hooked to it the minute she had laid her eyes on it.

As she spent more and more time in Wattpad, she started to know each and every norms- you know the usual: voting stories, reading list, adding books to library, comment sections.

People's username in wattpad inspired her to change hers from 'Heyitsmebecca' to 'Shawnmendesotherhalf'

Never in a million years, Becca had thought she would complete three books in a single week. They were so... Captivating.

Until.

She stumbled into the recent book she was reading and-

The story was okay, nothing wrong with that but Becca wasn't having the 'A mother can't fulfill both the parent's place and vice versa' line.

Becca stared at the screen for more than she intended to as her fingers traced her laptop's keyboards. She then shifted her gaze towards the window. That was when she noticed the crease in between her eyebrows in the glass window. She straightened them.

Resting her chin on her palm, she scrolled down the comments:

True.

Four thumbs up emoji.

THIS!

I don't think so...

Becca stopped at the comment but she wasn't satisfied with the use of '...'. He/She wasn't confident. She needed someone to be confident with their point of view on this particular matter hence she continued scrolling.

Becca needed to see whether she was the only one to have the answer 'No'. Why? She was herself searching for the answer.

Maybe because she felt the answer should be No. She knew the answer had to be No. She became furious as she didn't get anyone who shared the same belief as her.

Maybe because both of their parents were present?
Maybe because they hadn't seen a mother pulling nighters or adding jobs after a job to her schedule just to make their child feel stable?
Maybe because they hadn't lost their father in a car accident?

Becca pushed the last thought out of her mind and was about to close the app when her eyes landed on the comment she wouldn't admit but she was hoping to see:

D'artagnan: No, this is not true. A mother can fulfill both the parental role just as effectively a father can or vice versa. It doesn't depend on the parent's gender but rather on their heart and their willingness to provide their children the important aspects which I believe are love and support.

Becca hadn't even finished reading the last lines and her fingers were already on the keyboard. She pressed 'reply to D'artagnan' and wrote:

'I believe in you.'

Because she remembered reading something like 'I don't think people will believe-" in the last few lines.

Becca read and then again and then again read the reply until her eyes begged her to stop. The message was so beautifully written and expressed, like the 'D'artagnan' almost wrote from his own experience.

Her eyelids were becoming heavy and she thought to call it a night. She stood up and yawned, cracking her back. She drew the curtains and was going to her bed when she heard her phone beep.

What the fuck?

Becca glanced at the clock.

05:06 AM.

"That's.. That's unusual." Becca murmured.

She walked towards the desk and retrieved her phone. Unlocking it with her password, she pulled down the notification bar and read the one which was sent just now.

'D'artagnan commented on your comment.'

Becca blinked several times before looking down at her laptop. Wasn't this the same pers- she let out a small gasp as she realized this was the same person.

She didn't expect to get back a reply now. Hell she didn't expect to get a reply. Without any further delay, she clicked on the notification.

D'artagnan: Haven't heard that from anyone for a while.

Okhay... That was surely not what she was expecting. She reread it again before pulling back the chair and resting her leg on it. Biting the inside of her cheek she thought what to reply or just leave it without replying. It would seem rude.

Me: Make sure to hear it often then!

This time Becca waited to get a reply back. But she didn't get any. She wouldn't admit it out loud that a part of her was hoping to get a reply back from 'D'artagnan' but she was.

Making a sound with her tongue, she dropped her phone on the desk and returned to bed.

The next day as usual she was up late. But she hadn't gone back to reading. Her holidays were almost over and her homeworks weren't. Particularly a single subject.

Becca leaned back and admired the page in which she was doing calculus. There were more cross marks than answers. She was about to tear the page down when her phone beeped. Becca's heart thumped as she slowly glanced at the clock.

05:06 AM.

Her phone which was lying on the bed, was in her hand in no time. She unlocked it and checked the notification.

'D'artagnan commented on your comment.'

Her first thought was: creep.
Her second thought was: Coincidence or not?
Her third thought was: to fall back on her bed and text back 'D'artagnan'.
Which she did.