"Liam, it burns!" Rayne cried out as the green glow flickered and popped. "How did this happen?" Before Liam could say anything, they both heard a woman's faint laugh. Rayne turned her head towards Liam - that's the same laugh I heard before. What is it? He pulled her close - I don't know, but we are leaving NOW. He quickly teleported them to the apartment bedroom where he knew the wards were the strongest.

"Let me see your back, Rayne. I need to try and finish healing it." The gash was smaller, but it still worried him. "It isn't healing properly. Am I doing something wrong with your powers?"

She shook her head, "No, there isn't any special technique, you just let the creation force do what it knows how to do." She cupped his chin and kissed him, "try it now," she whispered as she kissed him again. His arms wrapped around her as she continued to kiss him. The green glow spread between the two of them, making a soft humming sound. Rayne leaned into his kiss more, feeling the magic pull her to him, connecting them. She let out a small moan.

Liam pulls back, "Darling?" She looks up at him with hooded eyes and blinks. "Really? After what just happened? And you say I'm insatiable," he laughs. "Turn around and let me see your back now." She turned around to show him completely healed skin. Liam let out a sigh of relief, "Thank goodness. Now, what the hell happened back there?" Liam led her to the bed, then climbed in next to her.

Rayne snuggled into Liam's arms and laid her head on his chest. "I don't know, we both just came and then something scratched me." She paused to think. "Wait, earlier, in the store, before that last reading, I had heard a laugh and thought I saw eyes looking out of a bookshelf, but I brushed it off because there were so many people in the shop," she shivered, "but it was the same laugh we heard when you were trying to heal me."

"I think we need to go back to the shop tomorrow and raise the wards again." Liam pulled Rayne tighter into his grasp. "Obviously something has focused on you. We should also let Kalli know." He kissed her forehead, "Rest now, ástvinur. You are safe in my arms." Liam kissed her head again as her eyes began to close. He stayed awake the remainder of the night, just listening to her breath. He was worried for her.

The next morning, they renewed the wards on the apartment before heading to the store. The shop wasn't open today, but Liam was adamant that they needed to secure the place. When they arrived, they saw that the pallet from the night before had been shredded. There were pieces of stuffing, blankets, and pillowcases strewn all around the shop. Several books had been knocked off the shelves and Rayne's reading corner was in shambles, the table turned over and the chairs were broken. Apparently their sudden departure last night had not set well with whatever had scratched Rayne.

Liam held tightly to Rayne's hand. "Nocht," she said in a loud voice. No creature appeared, but suddenly they could see deep slashes in the walls and bookcases. "By the Gods, what could do this, Liam?" Rayne asked as she inspected the grooves. Some were deep enough to fit her entire hand in them.

Liam took a cautious step away from Rayne when he saw a card on the counter. "Is this yours?" He held up a single tarot card - Death.

Rayne shook her head, "No, I don't have a deck like that. It might be from one of the tarot sets we sell though." she felt a shiver run through her. "Liam, can we clean the quick way and place the wards, quickly." Her strained tone made him focus on the energy in the air. He quickly made the mess vanish and repaired the damage. As he did that, Rayne began to place protection sigils on all of the entries and windows. Liam followed and did the same with his magic, just as they had done at Kalli and Megan's house.

As the last ward was sealed, they both heard a howl and the windows began to shake. Whatever it was, it did not want to be kept out. Rayne felt cold and began to hear whispers. She felt the dead speaking to her as her eyes began to blacken. "Níl aon chumhacht agat anseo. Fág linn!" Rayne's voice boomed. Liam turned to see her floating just above the floor, her skin ashen. He had not seen her in this form since the battle with Eris.

The thing outside howled again, then seemed to vanish. "Rayne, it's gone," Liam said softly to her as her eyes began to lighten and her form returned to normal. When her feet hit the floor, her legs buckled. Liam caught her before she fell. "Elskede mín, why did you take that form?"

Rayne shook her head, "I don't know. I started hearing the voices of the dead, and it just happened." She shivered again. "I think we need to get to Kalli and Megan soon. I don't think that thing is ready to give up yet." Liam nodded in agreement and quickly teleported to their home.

Once they arrived, Liam went to visit with Megan so Rayne could fill Kalli in on the details. Kalli's face clouded. "I had hoped it was over. Things have been going well. The baby is healthy and Megan seems to have regained her strength," Kalli let out a shaky breath. "We were even going to try to do the gender reveal party at our Yule gathering, but now I don't know."

Rayne reached out and held her friend's hand, "We will renew all the wards, and take turns staying with her again." She smiled at Kalli, "Let's keep the list small, and have the reveal here. Liam and I can take care of the decorations and get the cake." Kalli nodded.

"I'll start my wards and send Liam down when I'm finished so he can do his. Thank you, Rayne, I am in your debt." Kalli smiled at her gratefully, then began casting her enchantments. Liam, if you can without Megan noticing, start renewing your wards. We are starting here, my love - Rayne projected to Liam. Already doing it, ástvinur - he responded. When they finished renewing the wards, they began planning for the get-together.

The next night, a small group gathered to celebrate Yule and the baby at Kalli and Megan's house. Megan looked well-rested and excited as they cut the cake to reveal a bright pink center. "I told you it was a girl - baby Grace," she said to Kalli, smiling. Kalli held her hand with tears in her eyes and nodded her head. The evening went by uneventfully as presents were exchanged and they cast bay leaves with blessing inscriptions into the fire.

Liam came up behind Rayne and circled his arms around her waist. He kissed her cheek, "What are you thinking, my love?" She smiled up at him and kissed him - Just how nice it would be to have a family with you.

He grinned at her - hmmm, we could always practice. Liam turned Rayne to face him and pointed above their heads. She saw a mistletoe sprig begin to spiral and bloom. "Kiss me, ástvinur," he whispered as he lifted her chin, pressing his lips softly against hers. "Let's go home." She nodded as he teleported them back to the living room of the apartment.

***

Author's Notes: Please comment, vote and follow.