I think We Can Be Happy

"Hi Birdie." (Y/n) greets her blonde partner.
"Hey baby bird. Are you ready for this special mission?"
"I'm sure we'll handle this perfect like always. I'm sure we don't even need these heroes they called in."
Hawks laughs and nudges her arm. "I'm sure you're right."
(Y/n) blushes and rubs where his arm met hers. "We're the best partners right?"
"My one and only baby bird."

"I'd like to introduce our helping heroes." Centipede begins and gestures to each hero as his introduces them
Hawks takes a special interest in one of the female heroes. He doesn't waste any time walking over and flirting.
(Y/n) frowns and watches.
The new hero smirks and flirts back.
Over the course of the whole mission Hawks talked to his partner twice.
He spent the rest of the time with the other hero.

(Y/n) suppresses her feelings and gets the job done.
Lives are on the line and one wrong move could cost them.
Her tipping point was when the mission was over and Hawks told her he asked the other woman out, and she said yes.
(Y/n) called her agency and told them she wouldn't be in for a while, that she wasn't feeling well enough to fight.
If she couldn't concentrate on saving lives she was better off staying home.

Hawks didn't notice for a while because he was too busy with his girlfriend.
(Y/n) spent most of the day moping and crying.
All her unrequited love, all the things she did for him, hoping he would notice.
Of course he's too oblivious when it comes to other's feelings.
To him she's just his partner and close friend.
After a couple weeks she realized she needed to move on.
If he didn't feel the same oh well.
She just needed to get back to saving lives and maybe someday she'd meet someone.

Although she didn't realize it would be so quickly.
(Y/n) grabs some morning coffee and checks her watch. "Oh shit! I'm gonna be late."
As she runs out the door she knocks into a taller man and dumps her coffee on her blouse.
"I'm so sorry!" They exclaim in unison. They laugh softly as she throws the cup away.
"I'm so sorry I ran into you. I'm just running late." (Y/n) bows and smiles softly.
"It's ok. I'm sorry about your blouse. I'll buy you a new one."
"Oh no need. I have my hero costume underneath."

"I thought you looked familiar. You're my favorite hero. Now I have to make it up to you. How about since you're running late you go to work and I stop by with a replacement blouse for when you get done."
(Y/n) smiles and nods. "Thank you. I'd appreciate that." She holds out her card and he does the same.
"I'll see you later." He waves and walks into the coffee shop.
The hero blushes but snaps out of it and runs to her agency building.

Later that night Hawks flies in and sits on her desk.
"Baby bird I heard about this morning. Did that prick at least beg on his knees for your forgiveness?"
(Y/n) stands up and crosses her arms. "He's not a prick Hawks. He's a very kind man. I ran into him so I was the one who needed to apologize."
"Whatever. I'm glad you're back to work and feeling better. My girlfriend wanted you to join us for-"

Before he can finish his invitation a knock comes from the door.
(Y/n) smiles and scurries to the door and opens it. "I'm glad you made it."
"Of course! It took me a couple stores but I finally found a fantastic replacement. I guessed your size." The man holds out the bag.
(Y/n) pulls it out and smiles widely. "It's amazing. Thank you so much. You shouldn't have spent so much though. I'm sure a thrift version would have been fine."
He shakes his head. "No! Only the best for you. You're worth every yen." He laughs softly and rubs the back of his neck.

Hawks didn't like where this was going.
"Fine. Then how about a date tomorrow night? I'll wear this and we can go wherever you want."
"A date?" Both men question.
"Unless you have a partner. I'm sorry I didn't even ask. It can be a friend's date if that's the case."
"No um... I don't have a partner. I would love to take you on a date. I can pick you up from here or we can meet somewhere."
"Text me where and I can meet you there. I don't know when I'll be done but I can always talk to my sidekicks and work things out."

Hawks clears his throat and the two look over.
"Hawks, what do you want? I'm sure you need to be out saving someone. Or making googly eyes at your new girlfriend." (Y/n) puts her hands on her hips.
The blonde holds back his temper then flies away.
"I'm sorry about him. I'm excited for our date. And don't worry about the bill. We can split it."
"As a modern couple we can do that. I won't belittle you by demanding I pay for it, or let you pay it all either."
They laugh softly and he kisses her cheek.

The next day (Y/n) has everything ready for her date but her phone is missing.
She looks everywhere but can't find it.
Hawks smirks and reads through the texts.
"I'm sorry I can't make it. Work has me tied up." He sends the text to his new enemy and waits for a reply.
"Don't worry, love. We can reschedule. Saving lives comes first."
Hawks growls and clenches his fist. "What does she see in this guy?"
Before putting the phone back he deletes the two messages and puts her phone on her desk.

(Y/n) comes back to her office and sees her phone. "Didn't I check here already?"
With a shrug she grabs her phone and heads to the decided location.
The hostess smiles at her. "Table for one?"
"No um, table for two."
The woman smirks and nods. She leads her to a table while (Y/n) looks around.
After ordering a drink she checks her phone then looks over the menu.

When the waiter walks over she frowns.
"Just a few more minutes."
The man frowns, sympathetically then nods.
(Y/n) checks her phone but no texts show up from him.
When the waiter returns she orders something to go and he nods. "That'll be up in a jiffy."
And seeing as how there aren't many customers it probably wouldn't take long.
And even though there aren't many people there, they all take turns looking at her and taking notice she was stood up.

After getting the bill she pays and leaves.
When she saw there was a "stood up" deduction on her bill she exited the building and cried.
If her luck couldn't get any worse Hawks lands next to her.
"Baby bird what's wrong?"
"He didn't come." She whispers and wipes her face.
"That jerk. I knew he wasn't good for you. Do you wanna come to my place? It'll be just like old times."
"Isn't your girlfriend there waiting for you?" She asks bitterly.
"Girl- oh no. She's at her place tonight. I don't really wanna think about her when you're hurting."

"(Y/n)? I thought you were working?"
The said hero turns around and sees her date. "Working? No. I got done hours ago. I waited for you and you never showed. You didn't even text me."
"You texted me. You said you couldn't make it cause you were caught up with work?"
"I never texted you."
(Y/n) pulls out her phone and checks their texts. "Two deleted messages?"
"Well I guess I should be leaving."
"K-Keigo... did you do this?" (Y/n) asks sadly.
"No! Of course not. Why would I... do that...?"
Obviously he wasn't being coy or convincing.

(Y/n) slaps her friend as hard as she can, more tears streaming down her cheeks. "Why would you do that!?" She yells and steps away.
"Because I was jealous, ok? Seeing you with him and not me made me angry."
"I thought you had a girlfriend?" The other man questions.
"But I don't love her like I do you." Hawks responds, keeping eye contact with (Y/n). "Me and her are just a fling. It won't last. But baby bird... you and I have history. We have chemistry. We could be happy together."
"Keigo, I had feelings for you, for a long time. But you never noticed them. Then when you started dating her I was heartbroken. You didn't even visit me once. I realized you wouldn't return my feelings and I needed to move on. And now I have, and I'm happy."
"Baby bird, don't say that. You don't even know this guy."
"But I know you, Birdie. And we can't make each other happy. I know that now."

(Y/n) walks over to her date and smiles. "I think him and I can be happy."
The man smiles and kisses her cheek. "I think so too. Would you like to reschedule for breakfast tomorrow?"
"I like breakfast." She whispers and kisses his cheek.
The taller man walks her home and leaves the bird where he is.
Hawks frowns, watching them walk away. "Baby bird..."