You dun fucked up

Journal title: let's talk about it.

Mar 2

We're at the Castle, and everything is working well from the looks of it, so we think it's something with the comhub... damn it. The only good thing to happen was the welcome we got when we approached. As we walked up, a scout on the rafters sounded a horn to let everyone inside know we were back. It didn't take long for Preston to come running out the gate, tackling Piper. ( I should mention because of the 2-way communication issue, we haven't talked to them in a while, and I didn't bother making any broadcasts oops) as Preston and piper are laughing and catching up(still on the ground from him tackling her), John waltzes over hand raised high waving at me, a half-smoked cigarette hanging from his mouth. Then the distance between us was closed, and he was... Hugging me, it was... weird? Nice? No, I knew from the few times he's touched me that his skin is warm, but it was like being wrapped in a freshly dried towel. It felt long, and I found myself hugging back, but I guess he heard Preston and Piper move before I did as John broke the hug quickly.

"He won't admit it but he was worried about you like I was worried about Piper,"

Preston said as he gave me a friendly one-arm embrace. John responded how he had nothing to worry about that.

"HIS princess can take on the BOS any day."

His Princess? Right, well, the 4 of us made our way into the mess hall to warm up and catch up. After getting some food in our bellies, I told Preston to send out a broadcast and let the other settlement leaders know I was calling a meeting to talk about the BOS. Preston gave me the okay sign before picking Piper up and leaving. If he wasn't all ready, I told John that he could use my office as it had a bed and shower(but again, knowing him, he already knew that). It was just us in the mess hall, I stood to leave, but I didn't get far. Shortly after standing, I was once again sitting, but this time it was because John had grabbed my wrist, spun me to face him, and pulled me into his lap. I wasn't given a chance to register what happened when he spoke, his arms quickly wrapping around me to keep me from moving.

"Preston doesn't need to know he was right, but I was worried, Princess."

He went on to say how if one more day had passed, he would have stormed the Prydwen. The radio silence scared him, and he was glad his favourite travel buddy was back safe. I had hoped he was playing it up for laughs like he always does, but... no. He

just... Pressed his rough scared lips to mine. It was... needy; any thought of "he's just messing with me" was wiped from my mind as the slight tremble in his lips gave away just how honest he was being. Almost as if willing, begging me to return the kiss, one of his hands found its way to my head, the fingers entangling in my hair. Now John is not a patient man, but my mind was going a mile a minute, and he broke the kiss before I had chosen which fork in the road to follow. When he pulled back, his unbroken Pokerface finally showed an emotion... and not one I expected, hurt. Hurt that he pulled that move? Or hurt that I didn't return the kiss.

The two of us were lost in our thoughts, so lost that neither of us heard Piper approaching.

"K'ay, know what? Never mind, carry on."

Shit. Now super aware that I was straddling his lap, I stood, and he let me. What the hell do you do in that situation? Say thanks? Just leave? We just looked at each other, my heart pounding in my ears and his poker face coming back to the surface.

"Um... I'll always be okay John but thank you," I said softly before bending down and returning the kiss(though to his cheek); he grinned at me like a dumbass as I turned on my heel and left, only the sound of my boots on cement following.