38: Not Worth It

Beginne am Anfang

"Namjoon's responses are choppy, but I doubt we'll need to communicate now. We should head straight to the lodge," Taehyung muttered, patting the horse he was taking out. Everyone promptly climbed up to the horses, Mara standing by awkwardly. Both Jimin and Jungkook had reached for her, and she looked between the two of their hands conflicted. Jimin chuckled retracting his hand and following after Taehyung.

Mara took Jungkook's hand, climbing behind him and holding him for support.

"Did something happen while I was still asleep?" Jungkook whispered, glancing over his shoulder at her.

Mara frowned, "What do you mean?" She asked.

"You're acting weird, and so is Jimin," Jungkook clarified, "I was just wondering if something happened."

Mara blushed, "No. Nothing."

Through the snow of a harsh winter, the group tread on their horses, whom neighed and whined at the cold of the snow on their legs. They weren't the smallest of horses, all tall and strong from years of countless scavenging and galloping through barren streets. For them to still be up and running like nothing was admirable to a tired Mara.

I haven't done much and aim tired today.

The shivering had tired her muscles out a bit, and she mentally thanked Jungkook for keeping her warm. If he hadn't, she would've been aching all over.

"If you see any other trails in the snow, let me know. We cant be bumping into any kind of traffic we aren't familiar with," Taehyung warned, looking back momentarily. Jungkook and Mara were straggling several feet behind, which seemed to irk the man.

"The horses aren't new to snow, they can handle it!" He called out, rolling his eyes as he continued on. The buildings were topped with snow, as was virtually everything else, and the abandoned cars on the streets looked like small hills on the treacherous road. Jungkook narrowed his eyes at Taehyung, gently petting and shushing the skittish horse.

"We gotta be careful, we dont know if there's freaks under all the snow either," Jimin reminded Taehyung, turning to the other two on the horse behind them.

"Take your time! Im sure the storm's passed over already," Jimin reassured, slowing himself down to match the pace of Jungkook's horse.

"Come on, Fro-Yo," Jungkook sighed, "Its just snow."

Mara watched him struggle, unsure of how to help. Mara patted the horse's behind, hoping to somehow encourage the horse to go faster. This did not help, and the horse continued to wrestle against the reins. Mara looked around, noticing that Taehyung and Jimin were growing farther away. Jimin had earlier been well aware they were falling behind, but they seemed to have completely forgotten.

"At this point, it's easier to just walk," Jungkook muttered, huffing as he hopped off in one quick movement. Mara gasped when he fell right through the snow, his legs now partly hidden.

"The snow is going to soak through your pants. You could get frostbite!" Mara scolded, hand shooting out to Jungkook's forearm, keeping him from walking any further.

"We'll be stuck out here! The horse won't budge!" Jungkook argued, gently prying himself from Mara's grip to take the lead. He stepped before the horse, pulling it forward and giving it encouraging words. Mara looked up, her heart dropping when noticing the vacant street stretching out as far as the eye could see. She frantically looked around, hoping to find the other two boys on the horses.

"They're gone, Jungkook!" Mara panicked, breathing picking up as she subconsciously leaned forward to hug the horse.

Jungkook peered behind him, face falling when noticing the same empty streets. The white of snow only left trails—trails soon to be covered by the lightly falling snow. Jungkook pulled harder onto the lead, the horse now engaging with only slight resistance. It seemed to have calmed down, cooperating and moving faster the more Jungkook pulled.