Epilogue

Nurse Blake Hunt

"What time are you off?" Sam leaned against the archway of the nurse's station.

"I am finishing discharge paperwork for room 8, and helping with a new arrival into 12, then I am homebound."

"Good. You were tired after I dragged you shopping yesterday, I'm sure you'll be ready to pass out when you leave here." She tucked a loose lock of her short blond hair behind her ear and dug into her bag to find her keys and phone.

"I'm not even going to lie to you, Sam, I don't even remember if I even brought in the bags. I got myself inside and then to bed." I laughed as I finished my notes on another patient.

"Blake," our supervisor rounded the corner with a file in her hand. "12 is here."

"Already?" I glanced at the clock and realized they were earlier than expected.

"Yup, no one is with her, but I was told that a family member will be here soon. I need you to make sure you hook her up with everything she needs. Shouldn't take you that long."

"No problem. I'll take good care of her," I replied with a smile.

She dropped the folder in front of me and walked away.

"Wow... Why do you do that?" Sam gawked.

"What?" I said as I scanned the file.

"You know damn well that another nurse could handle the intake," she whispered.

"12 was expected an hour ago, but then there were complications. We got word she would be transported around the time I was done, but I volunteered to get her situated. She is a little bit earlier than I was expecting, so hopefully, I can get out of here on time."

"You're too nice sometimes. One of the reasons I love you."

"Wasn't always this way, but thanks? I think." I laughed and stood to head out to my new patient.

"I'll see you next week. Have a good long weekend."

"Don't miss me too much," I said as she gave me a one-armed hug.

"Ha! You wish! See you girly!" Sam laughed and pushed through the door to the staff staircase.

I skimmed through the file as I made my way to room 12. There was a lot to her with such a short time in the hospital. The transport team and a few others were already there assisting with the transition.

The head EMT handed me the clipboard they had from transporting and briefed me on the things he had documented on their commute.

They cleared out and the room fell silent. Her machines whirred and hummed as I looked down at her.

The generic hospital blanket hid her tiny body, but I knew there was a lot more to the little pink bundle.

"Hi sweet girl," I whispered to her. She stirred. "My name is Blake. Welcome to the world."

She was beautiful. The sweet newborn slept while I took her vitals and changed her diaper.

It wasn't until I turned to my rolling unit to input my notes and her vitals did it hit me.

Mathis, Girl.

What were the chances? I hadn't heard anyone else with his last name, but it wouldn't have been too far-fetched. I'd stopped typing as I lost myself in the memory of the summer I'd met him.

Ryder and I had lasted a good year before the honeymoon phase of our relationship ended abruptly. With his father's health failing, Ryder had more than a fair amount of familial drama and work on his plate and it ended up outweighing what we could handle.