Day 13 - Defend

[Emerald Steve's POV, a very long time ago]

"I don't care, Elder!" I yell, the atmosphere of the meeting room becoming tense. "That was a child, for goodness sake! It's not the Red Steves' fault they're like that, and besides, this child is one of the luckier ones! He did not attack anyone, that Blue Steve had no reason to do what he did!"

"Emerald, I understand your anger, but they're just-" One of the Elder Blues starts, but I know what he's about to say.

"Let me guess, 'unpredictable'? You can't keep using the same excuse every time this happens." I say coldly. "You all need to stop being so unnecessarily discriminatory towards the Red Steves. It's been rubbing off on your people for far too long, and everyone can tell it's becoming a problem."

The group of Elder Blues stay silent, a few of them uncomfortably shifting in their seats. They know they're being called out.

"How would you even know if the Red Steve wasn't aggressive or not?" One of the Elder Blues says accusingly. "You can't just walk in here with this heresy over a rumor."

"Because I found that little Red Steve alone and crying in the rain last week." I answer. "He's currently staying with me until I can figure something out for him. That, and I heard the Blue Steve that did it bragging about it on my way here."

Once again, silence in the room. I sigh, and get up from my chair.

"I can't have any of you doing this anymore, you're both painting the rest of the Blue Steve civilizations in a terrible light, and putting innocent Red Steves in harm's way with your despicable examples." I say. "I swear to the name of Origin, if I hear one more words of anyone harassing a Red Steve again, or any other color for that matter, there will be serious repercussions against all of you."

As I walk towards the exit hall, I take one last look at the group of Elders.

"Maybe the idea of replacing the council will set you straight." I say.

They all seem panicked at that. One Elder Blue tries to reach out to me.

"Emerald, wait-" He says.

"I don't want to hear it." I cut him off.

I exit the meeting room, hearing hushed murmurs between the Council of Elders behind me. Hopefully this is the last time I have to defend other colors from them and their ludicrous decisions. Not only have they been bothering the Red Steves, the poor things barely able to understand what's going on, but they've been intruding in the business of other colors as well just because of the Blue Steves' reputation and status of highest population.

Why hasn't Origin intervened with any of this? Usually, before all of the Chromatics started becoming as independent as they are now, he would keep such meetings from happening by stepping in.

As I step outside and begin to teleport, I clear my head and think of what's waiting for me when I get home...

—————————————————————————————————————

"Hiiii Emerald!" A familiar, high-pitched voice greets me as I teleport inside my house.

I laugh as the small child tackles me, seeing his excited smile.

"Hello again, Red. Did you miss me?" I ask Red Steve.

"Uh, yeah! You were gone forever!" Red says as he happily skips around. For a Red Steve, he sure is high-energy. He's probably just glad not to be cooped up underground...