30.) The Last Day of Summer

Two Months Later

"Where are Edalyn and Luz? This is very important." Lilith asks nervously.

"I don't know, Lily. They'll be here, just breathe." I try but she still seems panicked.

"We's back!" Eda laughs loudly as Luz pushes her through the portal on a cart full of human tequila from Costco.

"Edalyn, are you drunk right now?" Lilith snaps angrily.

"Human realm booze is the bomb dot com! If I can't go back until Christmas, I need to stock up now." She continues to slur her words.

"Raine! Come get your girlfriend, please." I call out and they come running.

"What happened? More tacoola?" Raine asks.

"It's pronounced tech-eel-a!" Eda laughs loudly.

"This is a very important day for the new Boiling Isles. We go live in two minutes!" Lilith worries more.

"Thank god my mom is letting me stay here for a semester so I can watch Eda's alcohol intake." Luz jokes.

"Speaking of, have you made your choice, Y/N?" Darius walks up in the suit I helped him pick this morning.

"Looking good, Darius. But no, not yet." I clear my throat as Hunter takes a seat beside me.

"I can help! We can list the pros and cons of each realm later. How about that?" He asks happily.

"Sure thing." I nod, just wanting to change the subject.

"Please, make sure Edalyn doesn't embarrass us in front of the United Nations." Lilith rolls her eyes. "And get that alcohol out of here!"

"I got it." Eberwolf signs while hopping on top of the cart.

"I don't have to speak, right?" Raine asks nervously.

"No, not after what you pulled at your induction as Head Bard." Darius laughs.

"I'll be doing the talking. All you guys have to do is look pretty and smile. We go on in a few seconds. Everybody, look happy." Lilith smiles at us before turning around to walk up to the microphone.

"We're on in 3...2...1!" The cameraman says.

"Good morning, humans, witches, and demons. This morning is a big day for all of us, uniting both the human and demon realms. Thank you to all citizens of the demon realm who helped rebuild our new and improved Boiling Isles. The United Nations in collaboration with our Ambassadors to the Human Realm has made a decision As it is the last day of summer, you must make the decision today by sundown which realm you will be residing in until Winter," Lilith announces and I try not to think about it. I don't want to, not now. "We would also like to pay tribute to those we lost in the Battle against the Collector and Emperor Belos. In total, we lost 200 witches, 50 demons, and 13 humans."

God, that's a lot. Hearing the numbers doesn't make it any easier to move on. Hunter takes my hand under the table and squeezes it. I rub his thumb with mine and try to focus on that. Instead of everything else going on.

"We are grateful for the opportunities given to us and our people from the human realm. Thank you and we hope you enjoy our realm as we can enjoy yours." Lilith ends and everyone claps for her. The curtains start to close as everything really feels like it's ending. This is terrifying for me and I don't want it to be over.

"Beach time?" Hunter asks as he stands up right before me.

"Of course." I smile and join him in standing up.