Vincent - Accusations

Start from the beginning

"You're fine?" Mariah questioned.

"Yes," Genesis said.

"We're not going to hurt you if that's what you're worried about," Mariah said. Genesis glanced down at the chains then back at her with an incredulous, are you serious right now, look.

Mariah caught on immediately. "I know. I know. The situation is quite opposite from what I'm telling you. Trust me, I get it. If I were in your shoes, I'd be losing my mind too but there's an explanation—" Now, was probably the time for me to step in. This was going nowhere.

"Mariah, give us a minute please," I interrupted.

"What?" She gaped at me.

"It's okay. I just need a moment. This is my responsibility, not yours. I'll send you back in here later," I responded, calmly.

Mariah glanced between us for a few more seconds. The uncertainty clung to her face but I remained stoic enough for her to see I was serious. She obeyed and shuffled past me without another word. Before she could leave, I gripped her arm.

"Return to the pack hall to tell Bennett and Claudia we're moving forward with preparing things for the ceremony. The ceremony will be held exactly five days from now, per my father's wishes. This pack will not go on without an alpha.

"The burial will be held in two. Make sure they are aware they will be making rounds throughout town to inform everyone," I leaned closer to her, whispering for her ears only. Not that that did much, probably.

"Understood," Mariah responded.

She locked the door back and it was officially me and Genesis Anderson in the room alone. I leveled a glare her way. Just intimidating enough that I'd get answers. It usually worked like a charm. Something told me this wasn't going to be as easy though. I could only hope.

As she met my gaze, she buckled up and turned around, emptying the contents of her stomach in the corner. I withheld a sigh, then headed towards the other side of the room.

"Your symptoms are getting worse. Do you remember anything? Your name?" I stopped near the bookshelf and flipped the brown chair around backwards, so that it was facing her. As I eased myself down onto it, I noticed she'd turned back around.

I realized I wasn't going to get a response when the silence thickened. A low sigh slipped through my mouth. "I was hoping you wouldn't make this harder for the both of us. You need my help more than ever right now. And if you want to make it out of here alive, I'd suggest you work with me."

Genesis gripped the chain tight. I could practically feel the unease radiating off of her. "Take this chain off of me. Then, we'll see."

"So, you do speak," I said, arching one of my eyebrows, "I can't do that."

She let out a hard laugh and scoffed. "Oh, don't give me that bullshit. You can, but you won't."

I folded my hands over the chair, a blank expression plastered over my face. "Genesis, you're not in any predicament to be making any demands. And if you value your life, I'd recommend you stop making those demands."

"Unbelievable. How can you claim none of you want to hurt me but then you treat me like a prisoner after saving my life!? You should've just let me die then! I'm not telling you anything until this chain is off," she spat with venom in her tone.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, my jaw muscles compressing in irritation. She flinched. As she should. This wasn't up for bargaining and I was losing my patience. A growl seeped along my breath—my wolf obviously in agreement.