Chapter 30 and 31

Magsimula sa umpisa

She thought back to the night before when she’d asked her mother to explain relationships and this strange longing her body had when she even thought about Justin. Her mother’s response made her bite back a smile. Over a pot of hot tea, they’d cried and laughed and discussed until the two were yawning with fatigue. Her clinical approach to the topic made it easier and helped Brinn understand the complexities of attraction.

Although the conversation was wrought with embarrassment and discomfort, it drew them closer, bridging yet another gaping hole left behind by their long separation. Her mother’s parting words before the two hugged and went off to bed rang in her ears.

“Every action has a consequence, and sex complicates relationships. You need to be certain of what you want. Trust your instincts and go slowly. There will be plenty of time for your and Justin's relationship to progress naturally. And know that, at any point, you have the right to say ‘no’.” Brinn smiled again at the memory and the serious look on her mother’s face.

If nature were the only factor, Brinn would have tackled Justin to the ground this minute. She had all she could do to keep from kissing him again. The loss of control frightened her, but somewhere beyond the fear, the desire for complete connection drew her to the flame.  

"Are you all right, Brinn? You look like you’re about to eat a whole chocolate cream pie." He grinned, “Whatever you’re thinking about, it must be something good; you look happy. Care to let me in on the big secret?”

"I'm okay—it’s nothing." Brinn responded, her skin warming as if he’d read her mind. She would have time to talk to Justin about her newfound understanding of relationships on the way to the cabin. "I was just thinking the same thing you were. I don’t know what I’d do without you, either.” A long sigh escaped her lips as she let go of the rush of sadness that swept through her at the thought of ever losing his friendship. She ignored the fear that tried to steal her smile. “So, what do you say about the weekend?”

Justin tensed, obviously struggling with an answer. "I have a better idea. Why don't I invite Cody and you invite Abby to come with us? You girls can catch up on girl talk and Cody and I will handle all the man chores." He grinned broadly, waggling his brows. “It’ll be fun; besides, Cody's been bugging me to go camping with him and I think it’ll be good for him to have a change of scenery."

Disappointed, Brinn gave him a wary look. "Are you afraid to be alone with me?" She stopped short, pulling him around to face her.

After a moment’s surprise, he recovered and said in a playful tone, "Well, you did tie me up and steal my clothes the last time you brought me to your cabin."

Brinn grinned and punched him lightly on the arm. "You are afraid of me." She closed the distance, gave him a seductive arch of her brow, and walked her fingers down his chest to his belt line, tugging him closer. "What are you afraid I'll do?" Ignoring the apprehension that thrummed in her body, she wrapped one arm firmly around his waist and slid the other under the edge of his collar. The softness and warmth of his flesh made her insides tighten. She traced the outline of his ear, and stroked the smooth line of his jaw. Her eyes widened and her pulse quivered as she felt Justin’s response. She noticed a subtle shift in his scent. The natural spiciness that always lingered on his skin grew sharper, more potent. Her nose twitched but she didn't move away.

Justin sucked in a breath and pulled her hand away. He gently placed her flat palm on his chest. His heart thundered beneath her touch. He encircled her in his arms, and a smile curved his lips. "You’re flirting with me, aren't you?"

"I'm trying to, but you are not making it easy."

Justin laughed, a low, growling sound that sent pleasant shivers along her skin. "It's not you I'm afraid of." He held one hand to her face and looked into her eyes with such gentleness that her pulse skipped like a flat stone across a pond. "I want you so badly sometimes, it hurts. But we need to take our time. You still have the trial to get through and I think it's too soon, that's all."