Chapter 23- A Hunting We Will Go

Uneasy about Justin’s possessive expression, Brinn was more confused than ever. Relationships were clearly more complicated than she realized. For now, she would focus on getting stronger both physically and mentally. If she was going to take on the monster who stole her life, she would have to be ready.

With each daily training session, she gained confidence. Justin acted as her practice partner whenever possible, and Cody instructed her in self-defense techniques that she practiced even in her sleep. Her parents had hung a heavy bag in the basement for her. Remarkably, every strike and kick seemed to release another binding on her soul.

The unexpected outlet gave her a place to put the rage that she’d forced down through the years. Emotions with a life of their own threatened to surface and swallow her into a canyon of darkness. But she wouldn’t give in to the desire to fall apart. After her battle with Cody, she realized she could fight. She realized she needed to fight. The battle was just beginning and she had too much to lose to let her guard down now.

Brinn and Justin had a plan. The upside was that they had a good chance of catching her stalker if he came anywhere near her again. The downside was that Brinn had to leave the house. Though terrified, she faced reporters and withstood the gawking strangers with a firm resolve. When confronted with her fear of people and crowds, she took herself back to that safe haven of her meadow in the hills, and her calm was somewhat restored—a technique her counselor had taught her.

Nevertheless, Brinn refused to go out unarmed. Though it was illegal in Georgia to carry a blade longer than a few inches, Brinn’s father made an allowance under the circumstances. Committed to keeping her safe, he made arrangements for a special permit. He also assigned guards to follow her wherever she went. They kept their distance, but Brinn felt the surveillance like a cold chill on her neck.

Wherever they went, Justin and Cody didn’t let her out of their sight. Cody stayed as discreetly hidden as possible with his six-foot, three-inch, two-hundred and twenty-pound bulk. The two friends had apparently come to some understanding, having resumed their easy camaraderie and constant wisecracking. Considering her own barbaric behavior, she figured she should overlook theirs.

Justin and Brinn made a show of her obvious disregard for her stalker. They went to the mall, attended art exhibits, and even went to the Fox Theater to see a comedy show. Brinn finally let down her guard enough to laugh and snort hysterically, calling additional attention to her and her date.
Within a short time her fear receded. The ache to belong in the world took hold. Some well-meaning onlookers eyed her with pity, but most people were kind and admired her fortitude in overcoming her ordeal. Surprised to find that there were more good people than bad, she began to engage in conversations and appreciate the experience of being part of society. She did her best to ignore reporters, thankful that Justin was there to handle them. He patiently answered her irrepressible questions, all the while snapping photo after photo of her, smiling, laughing, and thoroughly enjoying her adventures.

At the same time, the photos were an all-encompassing record of everyone in the background. At the end of the day, they sat down with her parents and went through the slide show of the daily events, looking for a common onlooker or familiar face that she might recognize as her kidnapper.

∞∞∞

"Do you think we could go back to the cabin sometime soon?" She asked Justin as they climbed the trail leading around Stone Mountain. She loved this park best of all, with its huge sculpted generals on horseback standing out in bold relief on the massive stone face of the mountainside. She missed the verdant woodlands and the wide-open spaces of the Blue Ridge range. It had been months since she’d been there.