chapter 47

Tony

- I'm sorry, what? - The barista gives us a puzzled look. - You want what?

- 24 coffees. - Rhodey repeats, taking his wallet from the back pocket. - To go.

He places 4 hundred dollar bills on the counter and the poor kid seems ready to pass out. While he and some other girl try to work out a way to make such a big order to go, me and Rhodey sit in the back of the cafe. Good thing there isn't anyone else here or we might get in trouble for occupying the baristas.

- So... - He gives me a little grin once we're out of earshot from them. - How are things with you and Grace?

- They're pretty great. - I drop my head to conceal the huge smile spread across my face.

- I told you. - He has the know it all grin I've had to deal with since the day I told him. - Even when you were sobbing in the corners after she went to Wakanda. I knew it.

- Yeah, you've said that a few times.

- And when exactly do you plan on making it official?

- It is.

- You know what I mean. - He crosses his arms. - Public, at least to the rest of the team.

- Maybe when I'm somewhat sure I won't be murdered by a certain pair of soldiers. - My stomach drops. - Deep down I know it's for the best but I hate it.

- Obviously. - Rhodey rolls his eyes. - It's a huge boyfriend nightmare.

- What do you mean?

- She's your girl and the fact no one knows about it makes it so that certain people flirt with her. - He shrugs, unbothered, but it makes my chest burn. - And you can't do anything about it.

That's not entirely true. I've made sure Grace is as far away from Barnes as possible on everything mission related and I also set up an alert on FRIDAY. If he tries to kiss her again there will be a fire alarm accident. Jealous and unreasonable? Yes, but in my defense she doesn't have the heart to push him away if he tries anything. What happened in Wakanda is proof of that.

She said she 'let him'. Not that she wanted it, not that she liked it, but that she allowed him. And there's also the fact she was thinking about me the whole time. Kind of hard not to get cocky when Grace says stuff like that.

My phone chimes with a message from Happy, saying a package arrived for me. Oh, her package. This should be fun.

- Everything ok? - He points to my phone and I nod.

- Everything is perfect.

It takes a team effort between us and the baristas to safely load the car with all the coffees but we manage. As soon as we get to the compound I set up a caffeine station in the kitchen and take the package to my room.

When Grace told me she wanted to try different things my mind immediately went to cuffs. The website also had a red set of lingerie with golden details, same color scheme as my suit. This is gonna be fun.

Grace

It's barely 10 am and I'm wandering around the compound in search of Red Wing. Sam started crying for it like it's a teddy bear the second he woke up. Steve said he tends to get a bit childish when drunk and we just have to play along. There's no logical reasoning as to why only he and Wanda are still feeling the effects of the alcohol instead of being hungover.