Six

Grace

- Are you sure this is ok? - I ask for the millionth time as Tony guides me to the lab. - I don't wanna intrude.

There's a massive thunderstorm tonight and this is how we learned heights aren't the only thing I'm afraid of. Ever since the first flashes of light fell from the sky I've been on edge, so Tony told me to stay with him in the lab. I don't want to be alone right now. And he makes me feel safe.

- Of course it's ok. Take a seat, read a book. I won't even know you're here. - Tony points to a pile of books on a desk in the middle of the room. - I took the liberty of picking some.

- You're too kind to me, Tony.

I sit on the desk and analyze the options. A Brief History of Time, Murder On The Orient Express, The Song of Achilles, The Inheritance Games and Delilah Green Doesn't Care. For some reason, I feel drawn to the last book in the pile: The Great Gatsby. There's something oddly familiar about the two eyes in the middle of the cover.

- Just let me know if you want me to leave. - I tell Tony, not for the first time, as I open the novel.

- Alright. But I don't mind. I like your company. - He smiles and turns his attention back to the computer.

The reading flows easily and I immerse myself in the 1920s, following Nick Carraway and Jay Gatsby in their glamorous stories. Although the cover felt familiar, the story itself feels brand new. I'm halfway through it when Tony suddenly laughs, making me look up. He's standing in front of a computer, hands on the keyboard, but eyes on me.

- What?

- Interesting choice. - He points to the book in my hands. - What do you think so far?

- It's really nice. This Jay guy kinda reminds me of you. - I reply and he frowns. - Not the obsession thing, but like the money, the eccentric personality, the charisma.

- You think I'm charismatic? - He raises an eyebrow.

- Definitely.

- Is that a good thing? - Tony steps closer and stops in front of me, close enough I can smell the coffee scent he's never able to shake off.

- I...Uh, I mean... Actually, I wasn't... - I look down, suddenly at a loss for words.

- Are you enjoying the story? - He steps back and leans on a table behind him. I swear he takes pride in making me all jittery.

- It's cool. I liked The Lord of the Flies better, but I guess it's not a fair comparison. - I shrug and his eyes widen. - What?

- When did you read that? Did you remember...

- No. It was the day you went to visit Rhodes. - His shoulders drop after I explain it. - The book was on the counter so I assumed it was ok. I put it back after I finished.

- It is ok. - Tony reassures me, smiling and showing off the most adorable pair of dimples. - It's one of my favorites.

- If Gatsby doesn't take a massive twist, it'll turn into my favorite, out of all the books I remember reading. - I try to joke and he's nice enough to pretend to find it funny.

- Good luck.

Tony winks playfully and goes back to the desk he was working on.

Tony

It's easy to see when Grace reads the car accident part. She's been quiet because she doesn't wanna distract me as I'm working - her words, not mine - but she lets out a little gasp followed by "Oh God, no". It's adorable. She thinks she's distracting me and maybe she is, but I love having Grace in my lab. She's sitting cross-legged on top of a desk because for some reason she likes to sit in places that aren't meant for sitting, and reading. I can stop working to look at her whenever I want and it's nice.

It takes a couple minutes for Grace to finish the story and she shuts the book before announcing.

- The Lord of the Flies is better.

It takes all of my willpower to not walk to her and fix that lock of hair that insists on falling in front of her face. I have no idea why that thing bugs me so much. I want to put it behind her ear, then well, I should stop there. But I wouldn't want to.

- Hey, what would you say if I wanted to cook something? - Grace takes a step closer. - Nothing fancy, just regular dinner food.

- I'm guessing this was your shrink's idea. - Dr. Thomas sometimes asks her to do routine activities to see if they trigger memories. So far nothing useful. - Knock yourself out. Just don't set my house on fire.

- I'll do my best. - Grace smiles at me and strolls up the stairs.

Less than a minute later soft jazz starts playing in the kitchen, one of the things Thomas made her discover she likes. Miles Davis seems to be her personal favorite.

I turn on my own music and keep working on measurements for Rhodey's suit. The reason why I visited him last week was to explain the idea, show him the prototype, and get the metrics. Rhodey doesn't wanna get hopeful, but he agrees it's worth the try. It's gonna be hard work and it'll probably take weeks, but we've done worse. He can handle it, he's strong.

20 minutes later an intoxicating smell of pancakes fills the air because of course she was gonna cook my favorite. I try to focus for a little longer but it's useless, the smell is too fucking good.

I drop the papers I was scribbling on and run upstairs, unable to hold the grin when I enter the kitchen and see her. Grace is dancing and humming the music while making the pancakes. There's a pile of them on a plate by the edge of the counter.

- Hey. - Grace's voice brings me back to the present and I realize I'm still on the kitchen door watching her. How long have I been standing here like an idiot? - I made pancakes. Do you want some?

- I would love to. - I sit on the kitchen island and she hands me the plate. - Fuck, it smells amazing.

- Bon appetit. - Grace smirks and continues to make her food, flipping the pancakes like it's the most natural thing in the world. I take the fork to my mouth and hum in satisfaction.

- Are they good?

- Amazing. - I counter as she sits across from me on the marble counter - Can't remember the last time I ate pancakes this good.

Of course Grace makes the most delicious pancakes. As if I needed more reasons to want her.

- Ok, they're good. - She speaks with her mouth full. - I was scared they'd taste like shit.

- Me too. - I tease and she rolls her eyes. - Good job, angel.

- Thanks. - Grace blushes at the nickname.

It slipped out a few days ago while we were watching a movie, and since she never told me to stop, I kept using it. The reasoning behind it is obvious and she looks cute when she's all flustered.

We eat in silence for several minutes. And in all honesty, it's the best part of my day.