Forty

Grace

- Is it wrong for me to be kinda excited about this? - Sharon asks while the two of us load a backpack with mission supplies.

The two of us plus Clint are going to the AlphaTech headquarters in Silicon Valley to question Ian Gallagher. This guy is important enough to put the Avengers on hold, not to mention busy. We've been trying to talk to him for a month and he never has time.

- I mean, it's a little weird. - I glance at her, closing the bigger bag and throwing it over my shoulder. - Especially considering the shit show from last night.

- Yeah, that was bad. - She nods, grabbing her bag too. - Rhodey and Stark are already on damage control. I couldn't think of anyone better to handle this.

Damage control is a pair of words I've heard more in the past month than in the past century. They have to do it all the time, but it's usually because some tabloid is spreading shit. This thing with Edward is a lot more serious, which means a lot more PR meetings and damage control.

- Speaking of Steve.... - I try to speak, but Sharon puts a hand in front of my mouth, effectively shutting me up.

- Don't. - Her cheeks burn. - You'll jinx it. Be quiet.

God knows Steve is the leading authority on waiting too long. I'm grateful Sharon decided he was worth the wait.

- Ok. - I mumble from behind her hold and she lets go. - What is there to be excited about anyway?

- My little pupil is spreading her wings. - Her face is filled with pride and a bit of sadness. - They grow up so fast.

Once again, I point out in my head how different she is from Peggy. This turned into a nasty habit after I regained my memories. I'm not sure how my old friend would've reacted to me being on the field or even being an agent in general. I don't think she'd like it. Peggy would probably act kinda like James does, overprotective and overbearing. When it came to her, I never knew if it was because of concern or a pathological need to control everyone around her. I force myself to dismiss those thoughts as we take the elevator towards the helipad.

- Hey, you two. - Clint is waiting for us already, leaning against the door of the quinjet with a small grin on his lips. - Ready?

- Let's hit the road. - I reply, smiling back at him.

- Or in this case, the air. - Sharon adds, and we walk in.

The flight to Silicon Valley is incredibly chill. Sharon and I play Uno while Clint takes a, in his own words, "mandatory nap to not murder any billionaires". Aside from James and Steve, he's the one Tony's the most resistant to talk to, although I know for a fact he wants to. Eventually the plane descends into an airport just outside San Francisco. After another hour in the car, we see the logo of AlphaTech in a huge glass building.

Two women in tailored suits guide us through the inside of the place. All the corners are full of computers, televisions, and other forms of technology I don't even try to comprehend. Our man is in a bigger office right in the center of the whole thing. Ian is wearing matching green jumpers and he looks like he slept 3 hours the whole week.

- Agent Carter. - He extends a hand and smiles at Sharon, mostly ignoring me and Clint.

- Mr. Galagher, it's good to see you again. - She shakes his hand and he signals for us to enter the room.

His office is not like I imagined it to be, much smaller and way more organized. Ian is the kind of guy who arranges the bookshelves in alphabetical order and there isn't a single speck of dust in the room.